Honored Contributor

Re: HAS ANYONE BEEN ON A SAFARI IN S. AFRICA?

Paging @suzyQ3 who just got back from a safari.  She has a fantastic thread in Community Chat with magnificent photos.

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego 

Your account of your safari experience was mesmerizing for me. At 71, of course, I can only dream of such a trip, but my daughter has promised to take my granddaughter when she graduates from high school.  I recounted some of your experiences to my 9 year old granddaughter and I can't tell you how wide her eyes were and how fascinated she is.  

Thank you.  Maybe you will do a travel journal about your upcoming trip as well.  

Enjoy your travels, and be safe.  Life is short and there is so much to see.  I do envy you, and only after reading your travel account did I truly wish I was younger and more knowledable about traveling the world.  

Thank you so much.    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Georgiagrama  Thank you for your nice comments.  Your daughter and granddaughter may also be interested in looking at more active safaris.  I would recommend looking at Backroads for an idea of what is out there as a classic safari could be a little boring for some teens (you more or less just drive around looking for animals and are lucky if you find any! I also have never used Backroads personally and only recommend looking at it for alternate ideas.) Of course, if it’s a graduation gift, they could push it off a couple of months and go during the great migration into Kenya (those are the amazing photos you may have seen where the wildebeest and zebra cross the river from Tanzania into Kenya. Check the dates, but I’ve started to see river crossing photos starting in August.)

I also wanted to say that 71 is not too old for a safari vacation.  Obviously, I don’t know you and also recognize that it’s not for everyone (the heat, the cold, the early rising, the bugs). But, in general you are just being driven around (albeit on potentially very bumpy roads). On my first safari, many women were in their 60’s and complaining that they weren’t getting enough exercise! But everyone is different.