Respected Contributor

Guemes Island in Anacotes, WA

My nephew is getting married next August on Guemes Island and we would love to go.  We have never been to Washington. We live in the Midwest.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the closest airport to fly into?  I’m thinking Seattle but saw an airport in Bellingham, WA which would be closer but looks smaller and might not have a good choice of airlines.   Has anyone been to Guemes Island?

@SeaMaiden  I saw on your recent post you mentioned you live in Seattle. Perhaps you might know?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Guemes Island in Anacotes, WA

@itsmagic I'm in Bellingham and my boss lived on Guemes Island - beautiful place & I think maybe 60 minutes away.  Bellingham airport has Alaska, Allegiant, Southwest and San Juan Airlines so one can fly into Seattle on a larger airline & then transfer onto one of those 4.  & I'm guessing here but I think it would be 2 plus hours to drive from Seatac to Guemes Island.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@colleena Thank you so much!  If we were to fly into Bellingham I was thinking we could maybe stay a couple days there too and visit the area. 

Trusted Contributor

@itsmagic I'm pretty bias as I was born/raised here a zillion years ago but think you would enjoy spending a couple days here.  Check out Visit Bellingham on line which is our visitor's bureau, they have a really user friendly site which showcases our area & I think they will send you a copy of our visitor's guide if you ask.

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

My nephew is getting married next August on Guemes Island and we would love to go.  We have never been to Washington. We live in the Midwest.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the closest airport to fly into?  I’m thinking Seattle but saw an airport in Bellingham, WA which would be closer but looks smaller and might not have a good choice of airlines.   Has anyone been to Guemes Island?

@SeaMaiden  I saw on your recent post you mentioned you live in Seattle. Perhaps you might know?

@itsmagic  I live  in a community right outside of Seattle. Sorry, I have never been to Guemes Island. I have been to some of the larger Islands like Lopez.  

The nearest airport to Guemes Island is Anacortes (OTS) Airport which is 3.5 miles away. Other nearby airports include Bellingham (BLI) (17.7 miles), Friday Harbor (FRD) (18.4 miles), Victoria (YYJ) (37.3 miles) and Vancouver (YVR) (51.4 miles)

Hopefully by the time you come the ferry situation will be better...it is a mess right now with Covid cutbacks and help shortages. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

@itsmagic  I live  in a community right outside of Seattle. Sorry, I have never been to Guemes Island. I have been to some of the larger Islands like Lopez.  

The nearest airport to Guemes Island is Anacortes (OTS) Airport which is 3.5 miles away. Other nearby airports include Bellingham (BLI) (17.7 miles), Friday Harbor (FRD) (18.4 miles), Victoria (YYJ) (37.3 miles) and Vancouver (YVR) (51.4 miles)

Hopefully by the time you come the ferry situation will be better...it is a mess right now with Covid cutbacks and help shortages. 

Thank you for all the airport information!   I have already reserved a hotel room in Anacortes for three nights for the wedding and hopefully by next August the ferry situation will be better.   We will also stay a few nights near whatever airport we fly into and explore (Bellingham or whatever airport works at that time).

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic  You will have  lovely time.  The islands are beautiful.  ❤️

Frequent Contributor

Hi Itsmagic - I live on Whidbey Isand so i thought I would do some research for you on airports, etc.  We use SeaTac shutte when we fly out of SeaTac because traffic can be horrible.  I looked up the Bellingham airport and surprisingly the shuttle times to Annacortes are about the same (2 hrs and 30 - 40 min) from either airport.  We have used Canadian airports prior to COVID but I wouldn't try it again right now because of the restrictions.  There is a new airport (Paine Field) which has reopened and would be a good option but I don't think there is a shuttle running at this time so you would have to drive to Annacortes. And google "Guemes Isand Ferry" - it's not part of the Washington  Dept. of Transportation so it has its own website.  I think you will love the area and do take some time to see Deception Pass and Whidbey!  

Respected Contributor

@itsmagic  I have no information for you. I just want to add that every time I am invited to an "out of town wedding" a list of possible places to stay at discount rates accompany the save the date or invitation. Also the couple usually include the best way to get to the "destination."

Respected Contributor

@OutofMadison 

@Janey2 

Thank you for your tips!  I truly appreciate it.