Super Contributor

Good Restaurants in the Portland, Maine vicinity

Hubby and I are traveling to  Portland, Maine next week. We'd like some recommendations for some nice restaurants to try.  TIA.

Honored Contributor

Re: Good Restaurants in the Portland, Maine vicinity

Fore restaurant in portland was real good ,it has been a few years since i have been there, if you go to freeport ,The Harrasseekat  inn,has a good lunch buffet .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Frequent Contributor

Seaswirl,

Check out Boone's Fish House and Oyster Room.  I watched a show that featured this restaurant and it's right in Portland.  You can check out their website for more information. 

Honored Contributor

Fore St is excellent, but very hard to get into it, we got in after trying for several nights, best to just show up very early, around 5, and hope they can fit you in. Also highly recommend DiMillo's, it is on an old ship, very good, and much easier to get into. Also liked Jay's and even the old Becky's Diner is good if you are not looking for fancy.

We toured the Observatory, very nice and also the boat trip to Casco Bay, and took the deluxe tour which also included a bus trip following the boat trip. it was a little chilly on the boat, so be prepared for that, we were also there in Sept, 2 years ago.

Trusted Contributor

Seaswirl, 

Fore is great if you can get in.  Sometimes can be a challenge.  Lots of neat little places in the Old Port area too.  

If you travel outside the area there are lots of great places.  About half an hour south is the Wells, Ogunquit, and Kennebunks.  Beautiful area, great restaurants. 

Kennebunkport- Hurricanes, the Landing, or Arundels wharf. If you want to go all out, White Barn Inn.  5 Star, suitcoat and tie etc...but great experience.  

Ogunquit- "That Place in Ogunquit". MC's in perkins cove is ok but quality has declined (not the prices tho!) since Mark and Clark sold..

Wells- Varano's ((Italian..was there this past Saturday and the folks with me thought it was one of the best in the area). And if you want seafood, head to Billy's Harborside right in Wells Harbor.  Billy was the brains behind Billy's Chowder house for years until he sold.  (Chowder house is a tourist trap now...I don't recommend) His new place is outstanding. 

Agree witht he other poster about Harakeeset Inn.  Really lovely...

Enjoy your trip.  Hope the weather stays like the past few days.  It has been just beautiful out! 

Honored Contributor

We have also stayed at Harraseeket Inn in Freeport, lovely, serve tea and sandwiches at 4.

Occasional Contributor

Just returned from Portland, my favorite place ever.  We have had great meals at Street & Co (recommend by locals), and Bruno's, an off the beaten track Italian restaurant that has been voted best Italian a couple of years in a row.  All pasta there is house made.  So many great places to eat.  

Valued Contributor

I would highly recommend:

The Treehouse (cozy place and great food)

https://www.facebook.com/thecafeportland

Duckfat. (Casual and tasty)

http://duckfat.com/

A little south, in Kennebunk, The White Barn Inn 

(elegant and special)

http://www.whitebarninn.com/dining/

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela
Trusted Contributor

If you want a really great lobster dinner our family favorite is Nunan's Lobster Hut in Kennebunkport. It's casual ,the lobster is the best and the prices are very inexpensive compared to other places such as The Old Port in Portland. I do love going to the Old Port and they have terrific places to shop and eat. 

Just a tip: if you're driving into Maine through Kittery check out the fabulous outlets ,but don't order a lobster roll on the main road which is Rt 1. Prices are very high and lobster isn't very good. We made the mistake of doing that and should have known better. 

Most of all have fun in my great home state! 

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the good responses. We leave first thing in the morning for Portland.   I'll report back once we get home.