Respected Contributor

@pietook 

Here's hoping the trip can take place because the possibilities sound so ideal.

Regarding your question on clothing suggestions, esp zip-type pants, etc. , I would highly recommend Eddie Baur  travel/hiking slacks nd tops.  With or without zippers, their pants are ideal because of fabric - no wrinkle and super easy to spot clean.  They often have special s, so get on their email list and look at options when they pop up.  Their wind/rain jackets also good travelers as well as for later.  

Respected Contributor

This thread has brought back memories of my Alaska trip almost 18 years ago.

At that time, Denali National Park was experimenting with human-to-bear sign language (!) and visitors couldn't enter the park without training. You had to demonstrate clapping your hands over your head while saying "Yo Bear!" They hoped bears would learn this to mean "I'm not here to hurt you or your cubs."

I never thought it would work. Did anyone else here go through that? Is it still done? Sadly, I didn't see one bear during my 15 hours in the park. 

Respected Contributor
Spoiler
I really hope you get to go.  I worked 50% of the year for four years in Alaska and have been to all of those places. Most are small and all are interesting. Of course that was almost 30 years ago in the late 80's and early 90's.

My one suggestion is to take an eye mask unless you can sleep in any situation.  In July it will be daylight for about 20 hours a day. I had a heck of a time sleeping during the summer there.

It is such an interesting place.   Have a great time.
Respected Contributor

I really hope you get to go.  I worked 50% of the year for four years in Alaska and have been to all of those places. Most are small and all are interesting. Of course that was almost 30 years ago in the late 80's and early 90's.

My one suggestion is to take an eye mask unless you can sleep in any situation.  In July it will be daylight for about 20 hours a day. I had a heck of a time sleeping during the summer there.

It is such an interesting place.   Have a great time.

Regular Contributor

Have been to Alaska many times . You will enjoy the scenic trip . Many shops , art galleries just so much to see. Mail your souvenirs home .

Have a great time .

Super Contributor

Our plans have changed slightly. We are now going in June---- 9th to 25th.  I so appreciate all your posts.  

I am carrying eye mask--- I found this to help with all my vacations!

I plan to carry old pj's, old shoes and some clothes (that I will use as innerwear) and throw them away!  To make room for return trip goodies that I don't have mailed home!

We will stop at our sweet neighbor who is carrying us --- her brother then her daughter's where we can wash our clothes at their house!  Yay on that!

I am so excited----just hope 4 old broads can get along for 17 days in a small confinement! LOL  (there one I am worried about) lol!

Please keep ideas, suggestions and kind words coming!  Thank you dear posters!

Trusted Contributor

I hope you have a great time! I went to Alaska in early June and thought it was a great time to go. You already received some great tips from others. The only thing I can recommend is common sense since there will be 4 of you in an RV, be sure to plan some time where you all can split up and do stuff for a little breather in case there is any stress among travelers. Even if the breather is just a little stroll in pairs vs in the group of 4 will be a good break for everyone. 

My favorite souvenir from my trip was probably 1 of the cheapest - it's a gorgeous Christmas ornament. An excellent reminder of a great trip that I get to enjoy every year when I put up my tree. 

Contributor

Re: Going to Alaska!

[ Edited ]

We were in Alaska with 2 other couples in August, 2019 and did a weeklong tour by car before cruising southbound.  Here are a few suggestions for things we really enjoyed which are convenient to your itinerary:

~The Alaska Sea Life Center in Seward - a beautiful aquarium & wildlife center

~Exit Glacier in Kenai Fjords National Park outside of Seward- you can practically walk up to the glacier

~Jack Sprat Restaurant in Girdwood, between Seward and Anchorage - fine dining

~Moose Jaw Lodge - casual restaurant in Moose Jaw, between Seward and Anchorage

~Talkeetna - great town about 150 miles from Denali - artsy shops, etc.

~Denali Brewpub - great burgers, etc. in Talkeetna

~The kennels at Denali National Park (if they're open to the public this year) - the rangers give sled dog demonstrations and you can meet and pet the Bark Rangers

~Transit Bus (green bus) to Eielson Visitor Center in Denali National Park - much less expensive than the tan tour busses and you travel farther into the park.  If you do nothing else, do this!  Only the first 15 miles of the Denali Park Road are open to private vehicles, so this is the way to see the park and the wildlife at a reasonable cost.  It's an 8-hour round trip, but so worth it.

~Creekside Cafe - excellent food on the Parks Highway near Denali

Thanks for letting me re-live my trip as I put this post together.  You will be amazed and will have a wonderful time!

Super Contributor

I agree on splitting up some---the is one of us the other 3 are worried will make it a downer---LOL  

Trusted Contributor

@pietook  I have been to Alaska about 14 times but only to Kodiak and a little bit in Anchorage. Be sure to explore the Anchorage Airport while you are there. There are a lot of nice exhibits and even an art gallery. The gift shops are very nice, too. I don't know if this applies in places other than Kodiak, but the best place for souvenirs is Walmart. The Walmart in Kodiak has an entire section of souvenirs, tee shirts, sweatshirts, books, and other items. 
You will have a wonderful adventure.