Honored Contributor

@Stray I know you have mentioned the Mobile Passport before and so I tried it coming in from Ireland last summer, and it did not work for me. I tried entering the information while we were taxing up to our gate, and the whole time I was standing in the "regular line," still trying to make it work, I saw all these people speeding thru the Mobile line. Grrrr!  

@granddi I had already taken care of the selfie and other information prior to leaving for Ireland. But trying to get back into Customs using the faster line, for some reason the process would not complete/confirm on my app, and thus I never got the QR code. Very frustrating. Am quite sure it was something I was not doing correctly, even though I kept trying to start over with regard to my flight number, etc., and followed directions/prompts.

Update on Global Pass initial post. The nearest major city near me (200 miles from home) doesn't have an opening until end of August. It was July a couple of weeks ago, but I'll see be overseas. And since I am leaving mid-June, there was no rush any more.

Since I work and their days and hours do not include weekends, the first free week day I have available is on Monday, Labor Day. So glad they will be open!

I do want to try the Mobile Passport again this mid-June for summer trip, but will have the Global Pass as a backup for future trips. Will see what happens! I may not need the GP if I can figure the MP out! Smiley Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler- I don't know what could be wrong....you had battery power... I use my iPad rather than my phone because it drains too fast....I've had no trouble at all with the app...

Esteemed Contributor

Ps @World Traveler- were you sure you were connected to airport wifi? 

Contributor

@World Traveler, thanks for mentioning the Mobile Passport App! I don't know how I missed that bit of info, but now I've added it to my phone. It might (if I can get it to work) come in handy next time we travel outside of the U.S.

LT

Honored Contributor

@Stray wrote:

@Ps @World Traveler- were you sure you were connected to airport wifi? 

@Stray Hmmmmm........I am quite sure I was on AT&T once I landed, and remained so while in the airport. But.......maybe you just figured it out! That would be a big DUH on my part if that is what the problem was. Good catch! I'll make sure next time.

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Stray wrote:

@Ps @World Traveler- were you sure you were connected to airport wifi? 

@Stray Hmmmmm........I am quite sure I was on AT&T once I landed, and remained so while in the airport. But.......maybe you just figured it out! That would be a big DUH on my part if that is what the problem was. Good catch! I'll make sure next time.

@World Traveler- yes, you have to land and then connect to airport wifi   It's good for 4 hours 

Honored Contributor

Re: Global Pass - Finalized Process

[ Edited ]

Hi, everyone! I am dredging up this thread that I started on March 12, 2017 and I also copied/pasted the even older (February 26, 2017) post that I put in our original Travel Chat thread (before the Travel Forum was created), that the Moderators kindly have given us access too, because I completed the process today, Labor Day. YAY!!!!! If you are interested in doing the same thing, you might want to read my February entry below (in red).

It took me four hours to drive one way to the closest place for the final stage of the process today...face-to-face meeting with the Customs and Border Protection unit. And as some of you have pointed out, it really did only take FIVE MINUTES with the officials to take care of the final process. They sat down and talked with me (does she look like a threat or not? ha!), finger printed me, took my photo, and sent me on my way. They did update the countries I have visited, because since the time I started applying for this pass, I have been to an additional ten countries. So the guy entered that information.

I was not prepared for the photo taking; didn't even occur to me. So I had no makeup on. Not that those type of photos are portrait-quality; however, I would like to have not looked like I had just come out from under a rock after hibernation! Dread looking at the photo when it comes in the mail.

The other thing was that I didn't expect them to fingerprint me. Not a problem, but they have all my records on file, including the fingerprinting that was done some years ago when I went for my TSA Pre-Check clearance. And they knew of the various places I have worked and many of those required I be fingerprinted, due to the confidentiality of some of my jobs. So my fingerprints and record are accessible to anyone in law enforcement or homeland security. Oh, well.....

Here is my original post showing what questions are asked when you apply online:

Well, I just completed the online application for getting a GE pass for traveling. Should have done this a long time ago. Not sure why I haven't.

If you have not done this and you travel a lot, I suggest you consider it. The pass will mean you do not have to go thru any processing lines, no paperwork, access to expedited entry benefits in other countries, reduced wait times, etc. It is good for five years. This is different from the PreCheck pass that is for the United States only, I believe. The Global Entry is international. 

The process, for me at least, took quite some time online. They want to know EVERYTHING about you, and for good reason. They say that "there is no expectation of privacy when you use this computer system" when logging onto the Department of Homeland Security computers.

There are 16 screens/pages you need to fill out online, and each page has several things to respond to:

• Personal Information
  • Other Names Used
  • Date and Place of Birth
  • Contact Information 
  • Citizenship Information
  • Admissibility Documents (if it is different from your passport)
  • Primary Residence
  • Driver's License 
  • Current Address
  • Address History
  • Current Employment Status (includes address and phone number)
  • Employment History
  • Travel History (name ALL the places you have been to in the last five years; they have a list of countries to select from; you don't include Canada or Mexico; I listed 52)
  • Additional Information (convictions, violation of customs laws, etc.)
  • Conveyance Information (something to do with SENTRI applicants who will travel from Mexico to the US in a vehicle; that vehicle must be registered if you use the SENTRI lanes)
  • Final Review and $100 payment 

I got a reply that my credit card payment had been accepted and that the application is now pending review. They notify of approvals and appointment scheduling, and it is recommended that I check the site every few days for updates.

I hope there will be a choice of dates and times, along with which major airport I can choose from. Any way I look at it, it will be a four-hour drive for me to get to a major airport that is on their approved list in my state.

Here is the online address:  cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/how-apply, or just Google it. Smiley Happy

You must register first on GOES (Global Online Enrollment System), then you can fill out the application. 

Those of you who already have the Global Pass, let us hear from you as to how well (or not!) it works for you.  Thanks in advance!

Valued Contributor

Re: Global Pass - Finalized Process

@World Traveler 

YAY!  (Here, have a slice of Global Pass Cake)  

How many years is this GP good for?  

DH has the Pre-Check which is helpful  with his in USA business flights. I can tag along on his Pre-Check when we travel together which is a good thing with the faster lines.  

LOOK OUT JAPAN, HERE COMES  MISS WT WITH HER NEW GLOBAL PASS!!!!    

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler  

Did you use the MOBILE PASS on your last travel adventure?   

Now you have your GLOBAL PASS all lined up for Japan.   <G>

I was telling DH about the Mobile Pass and it is free!  I think we have to get on the airport WI-FI to make it work?  If you used it did it work out for you?   TIA 

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Global Entry Pass - Finalized Process Today!

Well - you finally prompted me to fill out the application. Honestly- I had no idea some of the dates! I've technically worked for the same person forever, but the companies have changed. They'll probably be confused that the addresses and phone numbers are the same.

Probably won't get in time for November, but at least I finally did it!!