Honored Contributor

Re: Global Entry Pass - Finalized Process Today!

@Alter Ego Quite a process, right? Looking everything up was time consuming, but just know that the easiest thing is meeting with the officials. If I had stopped asking the guy about his recent trip to my neck of the woods, I would have been out of there in three minutes! ha! Seriously, you have done most of the work just doing the online questions. Smooth sailing from here on out. Smiley Happy

You may make it in time for November. Depends upon how many places you can schedule the appointment in your area. The two closest places were 200+ miles away. 

I will post when I get the card in my hands. Think he said it will take two weeks.

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego It has been one week (Labor Day) since I visited the Custom and Border Patrol people for my Global Entry Pass, and I received it in the mail today! YAAAAAAY!

Of course, my photo is terrible (think drivers license), and you must activate it online within 30 days after receiving it or it will not be usable.

I am thrilled it didn't take a long time to get the actual card in my hands. WHEW!

Honored Contributor

Also, something of interest for those of you who may drive back and forth over the Canadian or Mexico borders, this card states the following:

”Your Global Entry card may only be used for expedited entry into the United States from Mexico and Canada via the dedicated NEXUS and SENTRI lanes. The card is NOT valid for entry into Canada using the NEXUS lanes or at the NEXUS kiosks at Canadian pre-clearance airports."

I occasionally visit someone who lives 20 minutes from the Canadian border, and we usually cross the border to go shopping for the day. They have a card for using the NEXUS lanes.

Esteemed Contributor

YEAH!! Just got an appointment on October 4th!
Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego That is wonderful! Hope you don't have far to go for the interview. And then a week after that, you will have it in yours hands. So, so happy for you. Smiley LOL

And......let us know about your experiences with it on your trip coming up. Like, how quickly you made it thru the fast lane; you know, from touchdown on the tarmac to out the door to your vehicle/cab. Of course, it depends upon how large the airport is, but I have a friend who zipped on thru in less than 15 minutes from out the plane door to out the terminal doors. She only had a carry-on, so no waiting for the luggage to arrive.

Esteemed Contributor

I went to my easy peasy interview today.  In addition to the airports, one can go to a location a little south of the Loop in Chicago - the building for Borders and Customs located at 610 S Canal. I took a long lunch; my appointment was at 1:15.

I arrived maybe at 1:05.  Needed to go through x-ray upon entering the building.  The GOES office was on the 6th floor and, upon exiting the elevator, one needed to press a button to get someone to collect you from the elevator lobby. An officer came right away to collect me and another gentleman who arrived early for his 1:45 appointment.  We walked down a long, white hallway with lots of locked doors until we reached a room with various cubicles. Again, another officer greeted me and we started right away.  Had I needed to wait, they had an instructional video playing that I could have watched.

I brought my new passport and, although not necessary, my old passport too.  I just got my new passport, so I wasn't sure if he'd be interested in any of the visa's I had in there. He did glance at it. I also had my drivers license and, although unnecessary, a copy of a utility bill as my unit number was missing from my license.

He asked where I traveled in the last 5 years and wouldn't you know it - I forgot the most hot button location!  "Yes, sir, I did go to Cuba." But, I earned my gold star today!!  When you travel to Cuba, you are supposed to fill out a piece of paper that certifies that you are there under certain restrictions.  You are supposed to keep it for 5 years, but really who ever needs it?? Well, you need it here and I brought mine with!!  The officer said I was the only person who ever did that - normally people have to follow up with him.  Chatted briefly about my Havana trip, he told me how the Global Pass worked and that was about it!

I should get an email in 24 hours and, after that, I can update all of my air reservations with my number.  Will get the card in 2 weeks.

I was walking back to my car by 1:25.  

Happy I did it - always assumed it would be more difficult.

Honored Contributor

@Alter Ego You are not going to believe this, but I was just thinking of you early this morning, and wondering how it all would go. So glad you posted your experience. 

Like you, I thought it would be more difficult.

It only took one week to get my card, which totally amazed me! Hopefully, you will get yours sooner than two weeks, 'cuz you have a trip coming up soon, right?

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler

Yes - my trip is coming up, but I don't need to wait until I get the card. I know the number and, as soon as I get my email in 24 hours, I can update all of my scheduled flights.