Trusted Contributor

Glacier National Park or Rocky Mountain National Park?

Have you been to either one?   There is no doubt they are both very beautiful, but if you happen to have been to both of them, is there one you prefer over the other?

Can you suggest a reasonably priced place to stay at either park?  Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Glacier National Park or Rocky Mountain National Park?

I suggest you post this request in the 'travel' section of this blog. Most likely more success there.

Trusted Contributor

I live  about 30 miles from Rocky Mt Nat, Park.  I have  been to Glacier once  and it's pretty spectacular( Going to the Sun Road).   Each has it's beauty like any other nat park.

Can't go wrong with either. As you can guess I have been to Rocky Mt. Nat. Park so many times I don't really head up there anymore. There are so many places to see the same beauty in CO.   Trail Ridge Rd. is fun to drive over with jaw dropping views.

As  for reasonable places to stay - the farther away from the park the more reasonable.    Even in the  city I am from there are lower hotel rates.  Estes Park  ( town and the entrance to Rocky Mt. Nat Park) is  costly. and crowded this time of year.  It's a pretty drive starting 30- 50 mi away as you go up a canyon on any road..

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been to Glacier.  Beautiful with abundant wildlife.  Great scenery, hiking trails, good restaurants.  Check out Meadow Lake Resort in Columbia Falls, Mt.

All the national parks are special; you will not be disappointed whichever you choose.

Honored Contributor

We camped at Glacier years ago. So can't recommend any place, The other one, haven't seen. Glacier is beautiful.  They have bears!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

We camped at Glacier years ago. So can't recommend any place, The other one, haven't seen. Glacier is beautiful.  They have bears!

And glaciers, too!  At least back when we were there.  Like you, @qualitygal, that was years ago, so they may no longer be accessible to the public.  But we were able to walk on a few.  It was cool--literally.

Honored Contributor

I've been to both parks and think Glacier is in a class by itself.  The mountains in Glacier have the strata similar to that of the Canadian Rockies, a horizontal feel.  The Going to the Sun Road has to be one of the most spectacular drives in the world; I could drive it every day and see something new each time. 

You can cross the border right after you leave Glacier and drive a short distance in to Canada and visit Waterton Lakes International Peace Park which is also just beautiful. 

I'd definitely choose Glacier. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:

Have you been to either one?   There is no doubt they are both very beautiful, but if you happen to have been to both of them, is there one you prefer over the other?

Can you suggest a reasonably priced place to stay at either park?  Thanks!

@Sue98  There's a nice town about 20 miles from Glacier with lots of nice motels and restaurants.  Can't remember the name of it but there aren't a lot of other choices. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment