Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ginger candy for seasickness but I don't like ginger.

My friend used to eat something salty. She said it helped her. Maybe those patches they sell would help.

Esteemed Contributor

What about trying pepperment?

Esteemed Contributor

@Wobin  I took a cruise last October.I got sea sick one day. The concierge suggested I get an apple from the buffet & buy some peppermint candy.I ate the apple. It wasn’t a Granny Smith, just a regular apple.It worked.In addition I bought peppermint Life Savers ( no pun intended). I also avoided looking out at the water.

By dinner time I was fine.I just avoided alcohol for the rest of the evening.

I had a great cruise & so will you!! Bon Voyage!!🚢

Trusted Contributor

@Wobin  I went on a cruise and stopped by the local supplement store before the trip. They have ginger capsules, so you won't taste it. They're inexpensive. Start taking it a few days before your trip and then throughout. There was one day with rougher waters, but I was fine. Bonine makes me drowsy, so I try not to take it, if I can get away with it. Have a good time!

Regular Contributor

My granddaughter gets car sick when we are on long trips. There is a product called "Quesy Drops" that work for her. I found them on Amazon and they come in a couple of different flavors. She really likes the Raspberry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can buy ginger pills. Those are supposed to work very well.  I have a friend who uses them because she gets motion sickness.

I would not rely on buying anything once you get on the ship.  There were no such products on the 3 cruises I was on and it's my understanding you will pay a lot of money for a visit to the infirmery for a pill.  It would be much easier to take what you need and have it on hand.

I get horrible motion sickness and I could feel it on the ship, especially on rougher days.   I got the patch from my doctor for behind my ear.  I was fine with it until this past year when that patch seemed to really throw me for a loop.  My doctor did tell me that despite what a pharmacist says and the package insert says, the patch can be cut in half and I think maybe that's what I should have done.

I would also suggest that you start taking something the day before your cruise so it gets in your system.  Once you are sick, it will take some time for that feeling to go away.  And if I can offer some advice, if you do start to feel bad, do not go to your cabin and lie down.  Go out on deck and get some fresh air and move around.    

Respected Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

Interesting about the Granny Smith apples Eileen.  I'll have to read about the wristbands, how they work and possible side effects.  

@Wobin  Niece used the wristbands - they are drug free - there are no side effects bc they aren't drugs.  Ones she bought at drug store were stretchy and had what I'd describe as a "button" on the band and it told you to place that button on your inner wrist pulse point.   It works for some but not always for everyone.     She still had some problem but in addition would get apple/ginger at buffet and all helped her a lot. Was on a ship once where we had to sail around a hurricane and it was pretty rough.  They made an announcement that bc so many were getting sick they left small packets of meclizine on the bottom of your bed should you need it. That's an antihistamine and works great but problem is by the time you are sick it takes about 3 or 4 hours to kick in if you wait till sick to take it.  

Super Contributor

Seabands, you can buy them anywhere, wear them all day all night. They really help

Respected Contributor

Bonine works great, take it before you board and 1 a day if you need it.  Eat something light before or right after boarding.  Bonine does NOT make you sleepy.  ENJOY!!

Trusted Contributor

I love to CRUISE and I'm going to agree with others travelers.

Please do not ruin your trip by evening opening up the opportunity to get sick if you "CAN" avoid it.

I take the drug strore 24 hours seasickness pills.

I start 1-2 days before the cruise.I also take it every morning for the ENTIRE cruise, rough water or calm waters.

Here is something to remember and share.  The SEA is moving constantly and you can go from calm to ROUGH in a short period of time.  Motion sickness medication is NOT LIKE ADVIL...You take advil and in 15 minutes you often feel better unless you suffer from migranes.

While motion sickness, the medicaiton MUST build up in your system to be effective.  SO if you are sick at 10 pm, you "MIGHT" not feel better until the next day.

ALso on the cruise ship medicaton is off times 300% higher than at home.  If my cruise is 7 days, I take 2 packs of medication.  I case one get's misplaced, or I need to take 2 on certain days of rough waters. 

Many times, you are good in the day but at night, the Captain needs to reach the next destination and he SPEEDS UP, that is when I have felt sick in my cabin at night.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!