Honored Contributor

Funny: What Choosing a Window Seat Says About You (It's Not Good) Psychology says so.

[ Edited ]

From Bravotv.com

by Alesandra Dubin October 23, 2017 • 3:57 PM ET

Anthony Bourdain always chooses the window seat because he wants to sleep on planes — and he says people who prefer the aisle are just weak in the bladder department. But could those logical-seeming justifications actually be a smokescreen for something deeper and darker?

Becky Spelman, chief psychologist at Harley Street’s Private Therapy Clinic told the Telegraph: “Passengers who favour the window seat like to be in control, tend to take an ‘every man for themselves’ attitude towards life, and are often more easily irritable. They also like to 'nest' and prefer to exist in their own bubble.”

On the flip side of that rather harsh assessment, she said that people who prefer to sit on the aisle are more likely to be reserved, more considerate of others' needs, ands also less irritable.

Of course no one — but no one — would ever choose a middle seat. So the least you can do for passengers forced into those uncomfortable assignments is cut them a little slack — it's only appropriate. Now window people, feel free to turn inward and spend some time analyzing whether you need to do some real work on yourself. (Or not.)

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Re: Funny: What Choosing a Window Seat Says About You (It's Not Good) Psychology says so.

@VaBelle35 wrote:

From Bravotv.com

by Alesandra Dubin October 23, 2017 • 3:57 PM ET

Anthony Bourdain always chooses the window seat because he wants to sleep on planes — and he says people who prefer the aisle are just weak in the bladder department. But could those logical-seeming justifications actually be a smokescreen for something deeper and darker?

Becky Spelman, chief psychologist at Harley Street’s Private Therapy Clinic told the Telegraph: “Passengers who favour the window seat like to be in control, tend to take an ‘every man for themselves’ attitude towards life, and are often more easily irritable. They also like to 'nest' and prefer to exist in their own bubble.”

On the flip side of that rather harsh assessment, she said that people who prefer to sit on the aisle are more likely to be reserved, more considerate of others' needs, ands also less irritable.

Of course no one — but no one — would ever choose a middle seat. So the least you can do for passengers forced into those uncomfortable assignments is cut them a little slack — it's only appropriate. Now window people, feel free to turn inward and spend some time analyzing whether you need to do some real work on yourself. (Or not.)

Well, he nailed my weak bladder issue.  😏

Respected Contributor

Re: Funny: What Choosing a Window Seat Says About You (It's Not Good) Psychology says so.

When we fly, if possible, DH gets me the window seat. When there are 3 seats in the row he gets stuck in the middle one. He says the person in the middle seat should get 2 arm rests. actually we lift away the one between us.

Honored Contributor

People who choose the window seat don't want to be crawled over.

In church, I move to the center of a pew, same in a open seating football stadium.

At a concert I choose the seat in the middle of the row.   I know, crazy.

I try to choose my seat anywhere where I won't be in the way of a door or any foot traffic for any reason.   Once I sit, I don't want to get up or scrunch up for others passing through.

Maybe AB and I have something in common.

He sleeps because he's probably hung over.  Not so in my case.

Respected Contributor

Yes, church is a different thing. We sit in the middle of the row. Keeps us from having others get by us. Actually makes sense.

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I am the exception.  We fly Southwest and buy Early Bird which allows us to board early or almost first.  I SELECT THE MIDDLE SEAT and hubby gets the end or aisle seat.  Then as the passengers board (we are seated) they look at us as they walk by to see if what is available. Always a really wonderful person asks to sit by the window and I in the middle have a perfect opportunity to chat (hubby falls asleep).  It is almost like I can pick my person because they seem to size us up as they walk by and chose to sit there.  I don't mind the middle and hubby is in control of the end so we can get up easily to walk around or go to the restroom. 

Honored Contributor

I'm an aisle person. Love to be able to get up and down without bothering people. Love being able to stretch my legs out a little bit more into the aisle (until that darn cart comes by!), and also love to be able to pop up and get my stuff out of the overhead bin quickly once we land.

I don't normally sleep well on flights, so having the window seat to lean against and sleep is not an issue. I do, however, like to be able to look out and watch as we take off and also land.

The one thing I do not care about when having the aisle seat is that sometimes people want to talk with the person behind me, and they lean up against the back of my seat, making me move my head forward so their arm is not bumping my head. And people grab the back of my (and others) chair as they walk up and down the aisle. I try not to do that, as I know how annoying that can be.

And, of course, people are stretching their arms across you when you are in the aisle seat. The flight attendants either are reaching to give food or drink to the person in the middle and window seat, and vice versa. Guess it is all a tradeoff. Each seat has its pro and con points to it. 

Thanks for posting the article @VaBelle35

Honored Contributor

I become almost anxious if I don't get an aisle seat.  I absolutely detest crawling over people to go to the bathroom.  If it's a long flight, it's even worse if I don't get an aisle seat.  I would never choose a window seat.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

I agree with both of you.  I am an aisle person for the same reasons.

When I'm on a cross country flight, I get the seat closest to the bathroom,  the last row if it's available.  The last row is awesome because no one is behind you.

On shorter flights I do closest to the front (and will pay extra for the first two rows) because I usually have a connection and I am guaranteed to be the overhead bin above my seat.  Plus I really dislike spending 20 minutes trying to get off the plane.

Before I started flying a lot for work, I was a window person.  But over time, I realized what worked better for me.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 You are the first person I have known who likes the last row. The reason you like it (nearest to the bathroom) is the reason I wouldn't want to sit there. The lines of people standing in the aisle (including me!) by your last row must be annoying. And it seems that the people in that line need to bend over into your row a little to let others have room to pass them on their way back to their seat.

You have more patience than me! ha!