Respected Contributor

I flew Frontier Airlines for the first time recently. They are known for dirt cheap fares but can nickel and dime you on upbuys like luggage, seat assignment, and food.  Needless to say I was shocked when I purchased a gin and tonic and some snack mix on the plane and the flight attendant handed me an IPAD to swipe my credit card. On the screen was an the price due with an option to tip the stewardess  15 perecent, 20 perecent or 30 perecent. I selected 15 perecent but was chastised by a friend who said stewardesses should not be tipped. Now I feel like I was swindled.

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't touch Frontier with a 10 foot pole. You weren't swindled. You made the choice to include a tip. I'm sure you could have opted out.

I love Alaska Airlines and wouldn't fly any other line.

Honored Contributor

@Reever WOW! I don't think I have ever seen the suggestion on a bill for a tip for flight attendants. But I usually fly United or American. I'm going to look more closely next time.   Smiley Indifferent

Trusted Contributor

At the airline DH works for the flight attendants are not waitresses and accepting tips is not allowed.

The flight attendants make a very good wage. 

Honored Contributor

I will never fly Fontier again! 

A few years ago I decided to try them out.  Yes they were cheaper than what I usually fly, but even better was the airport they were flying out of was a small one which was only 15 minutes from my home rather than almost an hour away at Philadelphia International.

When I got there they were having "mechanical" problems and the flight was delayed.  Once we were on the plane it started to snow and all airport employees had left.  There was one police car that hung around in case we needed help.  We were allowed to get off the plane to stretch our legs but couldn't use the rest room since it was on the other side of the security checkpoint and all TSA agents had left.  We finally took off and I arrived in Ft. Lauderdale after midnight.

I went to visit my mom for a month since she was heaving health issues.  My return flight was out of Ft. Lauderdale to NJ.  I arrived for my  flight and at the gate some passengers were allowed on but then once again they were having "mechanical" problems and everyone had to get off.  After many delays the flight was finally cancelled and I had to retrieve my luggage then get in another line to see if they could fit me onto another flight through another airline.

Another 3 hours in line and I got a flight to Philadelphia (I was glad I hadn't left my car at the Trenton/Mercer airport) which arrived at midnight.

Since Frontier got me on United and I had 2 checked bags (I was at my mom's for a month) I had to pay another $60.00 ($30.00 per bag) which I didn't have to do originally...however I was so exhausted & grateful to finally be going home I just paid....but I won't fly Frontier again!

Respected Contributor

We used Frontier years ago going to our nephew's wedding in Las Vegas. No problems for us. They are starting non stop flights from here in Fort Myers to Buffalo NY next month. We may use them for our next visit to the younger daughter in Buffalo,as non-stop is a big plus.

Trusted Contributor

Frontier is the worst.  I flew it once, but will not do so again.

Honored Contributor

DH flew Frontier last year to go to Colorado. He had no problems coming or going.

We used Frontier to fly to Tampa earlier this year.  We had no problems coming or going. 

Personally I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them however I do know people who had major issues with them. 

DH and I used 1 suitcase so we only had to pay for 1 checked bag and we picked seats that were no additional charge.  Our flight was so much cheaper on Frontier than any other airline, even if we had both paid for checked bags and a seat we would have been further ahead than booking with another airline.

I found the plane super comfortable.  In fact, I was as comfortable on the Frontier flight as I was on my United flight to NYC.     

Respected Contributor

Ha Ha Ha........tipping a flight attendant! And I thought I could not be shocked.

Honored Contributor

I fly Frontier every other month from Tampa area.  Yes, I'll pay for a carry on when I only paid $35 (sometimes less) for the flight! I usually get my flight, seat & luggage for round trip under $125!

It's not necessary to purchase a seat unless you prefer a certain section or traveling with someone.  I let the computer generate my seat - no fee!

They fly into Philly area and I can be flexible so I am able to select cheapest flights!  Most the time I only take my small Weekend bag & I don't buy seat or luggage fees.  

I've only been delayed maybe 3 times over the years I've been flying with them.

It's just very convenient for me & I don't need to buy any of the snacks or beverages on a 2 hour flight. I just buy a coffee before I get on

(and carry my own snacks).  And I would never tip the attendant like I wouldn't tip the cashier at a grocery store!  Plus I wouldn't care what a friend said my $ my decision!  Why would you be mad or feel "swindled" by Frontier YOU chose to tip!!!

Last year I flew non-stop round trip to Las Vegas for $79.00!!! I love the deals offered by Frontier.  

People choose Frontier for the cheap no frills flights!