Respected Contributor

We recently returned from a four day trip to NYC with two other couples (friends). We walked our legs off but had so much fun on our short getaway!

We flew into LaGuardia and had reservations at the Courtyard by Marriott in Herald Square.  One couple took a bus to the hotel from the airport (they booked thru a travel agent and it was included in their package) but the other couple and my husband and I took a taxi together.  With tip it cost about $50 total for the four of us (traffic was very heavy at the time).   By the end of the trip we all agreed that our hotel was in an excellent location for getting to everything we wanted to do. 

The first day we bought 24 hour tickets for the hop-on hop-off bus. We spent the first afternoon on the bus sightseeing and then picked it up again the next morning on the second day.  That afternoon we went to the 911 memorial.  

The third day we went to Ellis Island and Liberty Island.  We took the subway from our hotel to the pier.  Luckily we bought our tickets back in January for both Ellis and Liberty Islands.  Otherwise the lines to buy tickets that day were humongous.  We did the self guided tours using the hand held recorders at both islands but I feel like we could have used two days to see everything.  A lot of time is wasted waiting to get thru security and waiting to take the boat out to Liberty Island and then another boat from there to Ellis Island. 

Our fourth day we only had until early afternoon since we were flying home late afternoon so we walked to Madison Square Gardens and Penn Station which were nearby and down Broadway to Times Square.  Lots of shops to look at along the way. 

I know a lot of people are already familiar with NYC but I hope my short trip report helps any other first time travelers to NYC. 

P.S.  Take lots of money! 😃

Respected Contributor

Re: Four Days in New York City

Now, THAT'S an excellent way to spend 4 days.  Glad you had fun and are home safely.  I echo your PS to take lots of money. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

Since you were at Herald Square did you get to go to Macy*s. I am a born and raised NY'er and I still love to poke around that store

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

Since you were at Herald Square did you get to go to Macy*s. I am a born and raised NY'er and I still love to poke around that store

Yes!  We had to poke around Macy’s!

Esteemed Contributor

One thing about NYC your step counter may explode because you definitely get your walk on here.  If you come here without a pair of good walking shoes I'm sure you will have to buy a pair in order to get around.

Glad you had fun and enjoyed yourself.  Your trip sounds like me when I go visit other cities because I rarely can enjoy the city now that I'm older besides working, and with everything else going on I am too tired to do anything.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like a good itinerary for 4 days.  Ellis Island is a must IMO.  Next time take the 3 hour Circle line cruise and you're right---bring LOTS of money!

Contributor

Staten Island Ferry is FREE....beautiful views of Manhatten,Liberty and Ellis Islands,east and west sides of NYC and various bridges....lovely at sunrise or especially sunset with the city lights coming on,short walk to 9/11 Memorial from the ferry terminal...not crowded if you avoid commuter time in am and pm,save some money here to spend elsewhere lol.

Respected Contributor

You sounded like you had a great time!  I am a born and bred New Yorker but my absolute favorite parts of the city is walking through Chinatown, into SoHo, Little Italy and the Village.  There are so many quaint little shops, restaurants, very ethnic and lots of street fairs, etc.  To me it is like a little piece of Europe.  I especially love Little Italy and the Village.  

Respected Contributor

@lovesallanimals wrote:

You sounded like you had a great time!  I am a born and bred New Yorker but my absolute favorite parts of the city is walking through Chinatown, into SoHo, Little Italy and the Village.  There are so many quaint little shops, restaurants, very ethnic and lots of street fairs, etc.  To me it is like a little piece of Europe.  I especially love Little Italy and the Village.  

One evening we were thinking about going to Chinatown for an authentic Chinese dinner and to walk around but it started to rain a bit and our feet were so tired that we ended up going to a Korean restaurant near our hotel. Will definitely have to fit that in next time. 

Esteemed Contributor

Add Central Park to your list of places to go on your next trip! It's gorgeous. If tired (or inclement weather),  you could always hire a driver with a horse and buggy to ride around through the park. And take in something on Broadway and tour the art museums. You do need a return trip. There is simply too much to see and do in NYC to pack into a few days. Glad you caught the main attractions! It is a city that never sleeps.   

Money screams; wealth whispers.