Respected Contributor

Re: Fly to Hawaii and then Cruise Advice

@SurferWife wrote:

@Kitlynn...the inter-island ferries are no longer operational. The only way to “island hop” is by plane or an inter-island cruise.

@SurferWife wrote:

@Kitlynn...the inter-island ferries are no longer operational. The only way to “island hop” is by plane or an inter-island cruise.

Oh that is to bad because it was a good way to do it.

Frequent Contributor

As noted the interisland ferries are not in place except from Maui to Lanai.  The ferry from Maui to Molokai now runs on a very limited schedule (and I doubt these would be on your list for a first time visit). And flying inter island is pricey but super easy.  20 minutes and you blink and you have landed!  

It depends on what you want for an experience.  We are big fans of spending time on one island and getting to know the island.  But, we go annually and like to explore the different islands--all provde very different experiences.  It is an easy hop from our home in San Francisco.

Cruising is easier but we like the freedom of renting our own place via Air BNB or VRBO and then having a rental car.  I travel extesively for work and tire of being in hotels.  And, we like the freedom of eating at a condo or home part of the time and then eating out at other times.

Costco travel provides some excellent prices and travel packages.  We always use their car rental service and have used a few packages before.

Enjoy the islands.  Breathe in the warm tropical air, wiggle your toes in the sand.  Hope it is a happy experience.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone.  With insurance, the package, the plane fare we will be spending over 15 grand.That is what is holding me back.  The totals.  I am wondering if the group we are going with is not getting a good deal or if that kind of price point is customary.  We are talking about 13 days.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Thanks everyone.  With insurance, the package, the plane fare we will be spending over 15 grand.That is what is holding me back.  The totals.  I am wondering if the group we are going with is not getting a good deal or if that kind of price point is customary.  We are talking about 13 days.  

What type of cabin are you getting on the ship? What class of service is the airfare? How much cheaper would it be if you did the airfare separate from the cruise? What pre and/or post cruise hotels/meals/ground transportation are included?

If that price includes a balcony cabin on the ship, first class air fare from the east coast, and upgraded hotel accomodations pre/post cruise it sounds the like price is reasonable for what you're getting. I've priced this cruise for next February, and as a single in a balcony cabin, with a hotel one night pre/post cruise and first class airfare from the midwest (purchased separately from the cruise), it came out to roughly 15% less than what you're talking about for a total of 9 days. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu - looks like you are spending a few days in Hawaii before/after your trip.  The cruise itself, if talking about the same cruise, is only 7 days.  Is that true? Or, are you not talking about Pride of America.  And, what room category on the ship is that for?

Would wait for others opinions, as I personally have not been myself.  But, I know how much I’m paying for a solo aft balcony in January, and it’s much less (and that’s the most expensive balcony). In other words, what you are paying for a couple = my cost for solo. Of course, cruise fares are iffy - price could differ depending on the time of year.  Check the cost of airfares on a random site (orbitz, Expedia, etc. to check your cost. Your price has to include more - like all of the excursions and hotels off the ship. If they don’t include excursions, then I would really wonder what else they are adding in.  Eager to hear others comments.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Is that counting the days you will be on the flight leaving from the east coast?

Wow, that is high.  Hawaii has never been inexpensive, but for that price, my DH and I could spend a whole month there and bring home the change.

i have seen deals for the cruise for about $1500 a person that includes a drink package and a hotel pre cruise room. Add on maybe $1500 or less a person for airfare.  

Wow, that price you were quoted took my breath away.

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu  I’m assuming you are taking a 7 day cruise and an extra 6 days in a hotel in Honolulu?  I checked the 7 day Hawaiian cruise on Norwegian (Pride of America) and an inside room in 2019 (I chose March as an example) is listed at around $1500 per person.  So 15 grand sounds high even if adding on a flight, hotel room and travel insurance.   But i guess it could add up to that if booking a higher priced balcony room on the cruise, higher end hotel room and add in excursions.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ Yes, I think we are being overcharged.  It does include airfair.  But I added it all up and we are being offered around 10 grand total but this does not include insurance and insurance because of our old age is 1,500.  I think I will just stay home.  

Esteemed Contributor

found a travel agent, and decided on Pride of America.  Just posted earlier looking for suggestions of where to visit (excursions--- tours). Plan to stay in a hotel before we get on the ship in Honolulu.