Esteemed Contributor

Flight scheduled for Thursday morning early BWI to Fort Lauderdale

Just need advice from those of you that either live in Florida or those of you who travel by plane.

Daughter and family have a family event scheduled for Thursday  6pm in Boca Raton Florida.  We have tickets to fly that early morning.  We will fly home Sunday.  

So far the hurricane is stalled.  Airport closed Tuesday.  We are willing to wait it out.  Wondering if anyone might know about airport closings.. hurricane influence.  Time tables.  Do you think the airport will open if the storm passes and what would be the timetable.  I have no clue.  I live in the mountains and the only weather incidents we have to deal with have to do with snow.  

No idea if clean up in involved... conditions making a difference.  On edge here.  I don't want to miss THE PARTY and yet I have no clue.  We go to a hotel a day early... Park Sleep Fly because we are over an hour from the airport...

Regular Contributor

Re: Flight scheduled for Thursday morning early BWI to Fort Lauderdale

Right now everything should be back to normal Thursday afternoon.  Unless, of course, Dorian does something unexpected.  Planes are leaving Fl overnight.  Runways will be cleared and recertified Thursday am and schedules on track for pm.

Esteemed Contributor

We will be leaving Baltimore at 7:15 and arriving by noon.  I wonder if that will work.  We have no choice in the timing because of the event which is 6:30 pm and we fly direct, without stop  over.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Drlinda   Just curious do you work for the airlines or the airport.  I am happy you have this information. 

Valued Contributor

I live near Boca. Fort Lauderdale airport was closed at noon today but should open tomorrow. You should be fine on Thursday. Check with airline.   

Valued Contributor

Arriving noon for 6:30 event. IF there are no delays- stacked planes for landing, weather related delay( usual this time of year regardless of hurricane), or other unknown condition , you can make it but cutting it close. 

Flew to New York to surprise my sister for her retirement party 3 weeks ago. Arriving 2:30 for 6:30 party. Plane landed in Baltimore due to thunderstorms in NYC. Flight canceled. Met 4  women, rented car, and we drove to NYC. Arrived 2:30am. Missed party but had nice visit with sister. Things happen.

Good luck!!

Respected Contributor

According to the crawl at the top of the  FLL website, they plan to re-open on Wednesday, September 3rd. 

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Pages/default.aspx

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

According to the crawl at the top of the  FLL website, they plan to re-open on Wednesday, September 3rd. 

September 3 is Tuesday. Do you mean Tues, 9/3 or Wednesday 9/4?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gizmogal wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

September 3 is Tuesday. Do you mean Tues, 9/3 or Wednesday 9/4?

My mistake - typing too fast.  They plan to reopen after noon on Tues, 9/3 and will confirm that at 10 AM on the 3rd.  Just follow the link for the latest, updated info. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

via the airport website

Travel Advisory No. 8
Broward County intends to resume airport operations on Tuesday, September 3, after 12 Noon. The airport reopening will be confirmed at 10AM. We ask that you do not come to the airport before 10AM. Please confirm with your airline that your flight has been scheduled prior to coming to the airport. Access to the parking garages to retrieve vehicles will also not be allowed before 10 AM. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work to restore airport operations while keeping the safety of employees and travelers in mind.   (Updated: Sept. 2, 2019, at 8:35PM)
"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein