Respected Contributor

Re: First trip on plane in awhile

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

Delta airlines will board first class passengers first and they disembark first.  During this pandemic, they did not upgrade "platinum" members to first class to fill all those seats.  The only way you went first class is by paying for the tickets, thus, first class cabin was 1/2 full with social distancing even in that cabin.  

First class passengers can board prior to general boading, but aren't required to do so. It's at their preference. With no pre-departure drinks or other service typically seen up front, I see no reason to board early and just sit there while everyone files past me to the back of the plane. As for deplaning first - well, yes - it's at the front of the plane. How else would it work? Yes, there are some aircraft where the boarding door is behind first  class at L2. and the cabin crew hold back coach to let first class off first, but generally it's thru L1. 

I am Platinum Medallion on Delta, as well as a million miler. From my experience flying over the past 4-5 months, there were NO Medallion upgrades processed - not even Diamond. Even prior to the pandemic, I rarely got upgraded as a Platinum. Delta is Diamond heavy and the few seats they don't sell up front usually go to them.  If I want first, I buy first. Because of the reduced travel demand, the fares have been really quite cheap. 

On my last few flights, first was actually fuller than 50%. Couples/parties traveling together can sit together and it doesn't go against the 50% restriction. On one segment from SRQ-ATL, 18 of 20 seats in first were occupied. Only the seat next to me and one across the aisle were empty. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

Delta airlines will board first class passengers first and they disembark first.  During this pandemic, they did not upgrade "platinum" members to first class to fill all those seats.  The only way you went first class is by paying for the tickets, thus, first class cabin was 1/2 full with social distancing even in that cabin.  

First class passengers can board prior to general boading, but aren't required to do so. It's at their preference. With no pre-departure drinks or other service typically seen up front, I see no reason to board early and just sit there while everyone files past me to the back of the plane. As for deplaning first - well, yes - it's at the front of the plane. How else would it work? Yes, there are some aircraft where the boarding door is behind first  class at L2. and the cabin crew hold back coach to let first class off first, but generally it's thru L1. 

I am Platinum Medallion on Delta, as well as a million miler. From my experience flying over the past 4-5 months, there were NO Medallion upgrades processed - not even Diamond. Even prior to the pandemic, I rarely got upgraded as a Platinum. Delta is Diamond heavy and the few seats they don't sell up front usually go to them.  If I want first, I buy first. Because of the reduced travel demand, the fares have been really quite cheap. 

On my last few flights, first was actually fuller than 50%. Couples/parties traveling together can sit together and it doesn't go against the 50% restriction. On one segment from SRQ-ATL, 18 of 20 seats in first were occupied. Only the seat next to me and one across the aisle were empty. 

Of course first class can board anytime they wish...no requirements at all.  We are very familiar with Delta's with their reward program as DH is a million miler also and also another category.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just an update on my trip to LA. I flew Southwest. The plane going out was 3/4 full and if you were flying alone you got the whole row to yourself. If was great. Coming back entirely different. I am not complaining. We are in the midst of spring break in many places. Our flight was full and some people had to have their carry on items checked. I heard this same thing about many fights from the intercom system. Honestly I can't remember  being in a jam packed plane although I don't travel often. You don't realize how small your seating area is until you are restricted to that tiny space. I am not a large person and only 5' 2" but I was cramped to say the least. My son in law travels for a living and they often put him in first class as he is 6 8". We arrived in KC uneventfully. A lot of people were staying on the plane to complete their flight. I won't be going back for another visit until until sometime this summer but the flight was jammed and the airport was filled. Travel is back to normal to day the least. Everyone wore a mask and they repeatedly reminded you to keep your mask up. It was just good to get back home. Visits are wonderful but my own bed felt great last night.Woman LOL   

Honored Contributor

We flew to MT a couple of weeks ago.  Neither one of us is vaccinated. My state didn't even open it up to my age group until the Monday after we left.  Usually we fly Delta, but ended up on United because we weren't willing to pay twice as much for our tickets to fly Dellta and United was the only other carrier that had something getting into MT early afternoon.  Eveything else would've been late afternoon whichwhould have us driving up the mountain in the dark. 

I did end up in a middle seat on one leg, but that's because Hotwire messed us up.  Never been bumped from a flght because they moved the departure time back, and that was our original departure.  Delta always moved that departure to an earlier time and just sent me an E-mail, although last year they must've change to a larger plane since they changed our seats too.  The funny thing was, whe we got bumped, Hotwire insisted on re-doing all the flights which ended up putting us on a later flight coming back and I had to re-do all the seat assignments. At least it was the short leg from MT to DENver that I had to sit in the middle seat.  i won't be booking airline through Hotwire again.  I'll just check for flights and the book through the airline.

I really was worried about wearing that mask for such a long time since at home I only wear it for short periods of time, the longest being during the sermon at church.  It was very difficult for me, especially on the bumpy flight from DEN to MT.  I already had a headache  and I really needed fresh air.  

My state is dropping their mask madate on Friday, leaving it up to individual businesses to make that decision.  Of course, the businesses don't like it, but m experience in MT should really be how it should work.  They dropped their mask mandate in February, but the ski resort required masks in all public areas including the lift lines.  We got reminders while standing in line where they would say "over the nose so we don't close".  Also, the few businesses (restaurants) we went to away from the resort in the little village partway down the hill required masks to enter.  Everybody seemed to be complying, so I don't know why it can't be the same here.  They are private businesses and they have every right.  I don't see anybody complaining about No Shirts, no shoes, no service.  It should work just like that.