Trusted Contributor

First trip on plane in awhile

I flew into LA last night to visit my daughter and granddaughter. I am fully vaccinated and felt comfortable flying. I double masked and everyone had masks on. Although the plane was relatively full I had the row to myself. Single passengers got their own row. I felt perfectly comfortable. I flew Southwest. Not sure how full the plane will be going back home but I had no qualms about flying. I would not have felt as comfortable if we'd been packed like sardines but it was good.
Respected Contributor

Re: First trip on plane in awhile

I flew in August and felt okay about it too--I also flew Southwest.  I think masks on planes are going to be standard for awhile and I'm okay with that.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like you planned things very responsibly.  Have a wonderful visit!

Honored Contributor

We're flying Chicago to Vegas next week.  Not looking forward to wearing a mask for hours but we're in first class and plan to be the last on and first off.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 Most airlines have first class passengers boarding first! Because I use a cane I am usually allowed on before first class. Alaska Airlines always takes good care of me!

Have a great trip.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@kaydee50 Most airlines have first class passengers boarding first! Because I use a cane I am usually allowed on before first class. Alaska Airlines always takes good care of me!

Have a great trip.

Well, yes - they do allow first class to board first, but it's not required. First class/premium cabin customers can board at any time during the general boarding process. With the cutbacks in service (no pre-departure beverages, no coat hanging service, etc) and temporary aircraft capacity reductions on some airlines, there's no reason to board early. 

I've flown 16 segments in the past 4 months, all in first class. Since DL is limiting first class to 50% capacity on most domestic flights, I had the row to myself. No reason to sit there thru the entire boarding process while others paraded past me. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1  Thanks for that info, I had no idea about 1st class passengers, never having been one LOL. But I appreciate your post.

Respected Contributor

Delta airlines will board first class passengers first and they disembark first.  During this pandemic, they did not upgrade "platinum" members to first class to fill all those seats.  The only way you went first class is by paying for the tickets, thus, first class cabin was 1/2 full with social distancing even in that cabin.  

Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Have a great trip.

Well, yes - they do allow first class to board first, but it's not required. First class/premium cabin customers can board at any time during the general boarding process. With the cutbacks in service (no pre-departure beverages, no coat hanging service, etc) and temporary aircraft capacity reductions on some airlines, there's no reason to board early. 

I've flown 16 segments in the past 4 months, all in first class. Since DL is limiting first class to 50% capacity on most domestic flights, I had the row to myself. No reason to sit there thru the entire boarding process while others paraded past me. 

@FrostyBabe1  Of course, not now, but we would always board as soon as they called first class. Served champagne while everyone boarded. Worked for an airline.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

Have a great trip.

@FrostyBabe1  Of course, not now, but we would always board as soon as they called first class. Served champagne while everyone boarded. Worked for an airline.

As did I. Prior to this mess, first was almost always full with either paid tickets or Medallion upgrades. I wasn't necessarily interested in the "champagne" (downgraded to cheap prosecco domestically) or other beverages, but I needed that overhead bin space. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~