Honored Contributor

Re: First time ocean cruisers

[ Edited ]

@Wobin wrote:

My husband and I (seasoned travelers in our 60s) have booked our first ocean cruise.  We chose Viking for its smaller ships and comfort, we have been on one of their river cruises, their Scandinavian itinerary stops in Gothenberg where we can visit a friend, there are no days at sea and because this cruise does not go to Russia.

We will travel next summer and were surprised that the cheapest cabins were already booked.  What else might surprise us?  As first-time cruisers we are interested in advice that seasoned cruisers might have.

@Wobin  I'm not a seasoned cruiser.  My husband and I went on our first cruise this past February so I'll share a few key things that I remember. 

You can look at the cruise critic website and find discussions about your cruise line and destination.  Also read as much as you can on the actual ship's website.  Keep checking back because some info isn't there until closer to your sailing date. 

Since you have never cruised before, I would recommend getting a good supply of Bonine so you can prepare in advance and take it throughout your voyage.  DH and I started the day before we sailed and never got sick once.  We finally stopped taking it about three days in.  I had multiple boxes of it and shared with other friends on the cruise. 

You will be required to supply your cruise line/ship with credit card info.  While you are on the ship no money changes hands at all.  You will have an ID card that's encoded with your account.  You carry your ID card with you at all times and any purchases in the ship stores, spa, upgraded dining, etc. gets charged that way.  You will have the option to purchase beverage cards in varying denominations.  Some are soft drinks only, others are for  bottled waters, wine, beer, or mixed drinks.  There will be info on your ship's website.  "Flat" water, lemonade, coffee, and OJ at breakfast are all included in your cruise fare.

I think you will be surprised at how much food is constantly available and in unlimited amounts.  We had heard about this but still couldn't believe it. 

The last night of the cruise you will have to have your bags packed and set outside your cabin door sometime before midnight. Keep your carry-on with you for what you'll need in the morning and to pack your PJ's. The staff collects all the luggage overnight and you will retrieve them back at the port as you process through debarkation the next day.  When you get off the ship, there is a systematic debarkation.  Guests are assigned a staging area where they wait and a time to be there.  Every day you will receive a newsletter on your bed of the days offerings - activities, classes, movies, etc.  A couple of days prior to debarkation, you will be offered an option (for a fee), in advance, for your luggage to be delivered directly to your airline.  Sign up for that at the guest services area.  They will print special tags for your luggage.  I can't remember what it cost, maybe $25 per person, but DH and I were happy to pay for that convenience. 

Be sure to check on the tipping procedures for your particular ship.  When we cruised, Holland America had a daily charge for each of us that was automatically charged to our credit card.  Again, it's easier to do that than to carry all the cash and remember who to tip and how much.  Of course, if you want to leave a little extra for your personal room steward or if you have the same table steward every night, I'm sure they would welcome it.  

Valued Contributor

Thank you JeanLouise, this is really helpful.  We did not have to surrender our bags on the last night on the Viking River Cruise so this is good to know.  I will confirm if Viking Ocean handles baggage the same as their river cruises or other ocean cruises.  We tend to pack light and do laundry along the way.  With Viking it was easy to have the ship do laundry for us but the ocean cruise ships also have a self-service laundry.  

Viking River and Ocean Cruises include beer and wine with lunch and dinner.  This should be fine for us so we probably won't need the beverage plan but we will look into it.  We'll also look at any info Viking provides on tipping.

Uh oh, didn't need to know about the endless food.  Viking offers afternoon tea everyday but I am hoping we will be exploring in port so I won't be tempted.  

We don't think we will be bothered by motion but will pack some Bonine and be prepared for all eventualities.  Thanks again!

Trusted Contributor

We were on a Viking ocean cruise in December and were surprised by not getting to dock at two of our ports. They happened to be two of the three that made us choose that cruise. We were very disappointed.  They said it was because of weather, but the weather was not really bad. 

The ship is beautiful, rooms very nice and service is great. We liked the Its.ian restaurant and the one they call “The Restaurant “ the best.  In The Festaurant, they have an offering that is the local food. We really enjoyed them.   

Have a a wonderful time on your cruise.

Valued Contributor

"We were on a Viking ocean cruise in December and were surprised by not getting to dock at two of our ports. They happened to be two of the three that made us choose that cruise. We were very disappointed.  They said it was because of weather, but the weather was not really bad."

That would be so disappointing Debcakes.  Did Viking offer anything to compensate?  Shipboard credit?  Spa services?  What did you do on those days?

Trusted Contributor

Hi, Wobin! I've only been on one cruise from Seattle to Alaska, but I will tell you to get a prescription to the little patch thingy that you put behind your ear (scopalomine).  Even though there will be no full days 'at sea', you'll feel the motion once you get to deeper water.  I was glued to my pillow one full day - and this was on the Inside Passage - until I put the patch behind my ear. 

Just be prepared.  Bonine and wrist bands didn't work for me.  

I was in Oslo in February and think it will be lovely in warmer weather.  There is a section near the port with three maritime museums that were a great visit.  The Viking Ship Museum has three actual Viking ships from as far back as 800 along with artifacts, then there's the Museum that has the actual ship used by Roald Amudsen's Antarctic ship.  And a museum telling the story of Norway's history of sea faring.  Pretty neat.

Honored Contributor

Don't overpack.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@Wobin wrote:

I am confused by your statement, "there are no days at sea...."

How is your trip an ocean cruise? confused.gif

Anyhow, what World Traveler stated pretty much sums it up!  ENJOY!!!!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

Ms iMac, this ship visits a port everyday and doesn't spend a full day at sea.

Count me as another one confused as to how you can navigate an ocean and not have any sea days.  Last cruise we took had 5 sea days between San Diego and Honolulu.

It would depend on where the cruise goes whether you have any all day at sea days.  The last cruise DH and I took went from Miami to the Bahamas.  We had no full days at sea.  In fact, the ship piddled around out in the ocean so we didn't get to certain ports prior to the time stated.  It doesn't take long for a ship to get from Miami to Freeport, Bahamas and then other stops in the Bahamas.     

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Tyak wrote:

@Wobin wrote:

I am confused by your statement, "there are no days at sea...."

How is your trip an ocean cruise? confused.gif

Anyhow, what World Traveler stated pretty much sums it up!  ENJOY!!!!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

Ms iMac, this ship visits a port everyday and doesn't spend a full day at sea.

Count me as another one confused as to how you can navigate an ocean and not have any sea days.  Last cruise we took had 5 sea days between San Diego and Honolulu.

It would depend on where the cruise goes whether you have any all day at sea days.  The last cruise DH and I took went from Miami to the Bahamas.  We had no full days at sea.  In fact, the ship piddled around out in the ocean so we didn't get to certain ports prior to the time stated.  It doesn't take long for a ship to get from Miami to Freeport, Bahamas and then other stops in the Bahamas.     

I guess we all define an ocean cruise differently.  I'd call your cruise a Caribbean cruise, not an ocean cruise.  But, I guess it really doesn't matter to anyone except the one going on the cruise.  Smiley Happy