Honored Contributor

Re: Family Vacation with Adult Children

I had very adventurous parents who I started taking on trips when they became legally blind and I had a driver's license.  They had a motor home and I became the driver.  They were famous for exploring out-of-the-way US Forest Service roads and places 80 year olds had no business going alone.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I personally never did.  My mother when travelling the world would take one of her "adult" grands.  Rarely invited me or my siblings.  The only "adult" vacations we had w/my parents were the yearly family reunions which are held throughout the USofA at a hotel.

My mother took all her "adult" grands on a month & half jaunt around the Caribbean Islands last Sept/Oct.  This was her "last hurrah" travelling vacation.

In the thinking about, talking stage right now,  my children would like to go to Barbados or Jamaica (staying at a private resort) this Christmas w/me coming along.  All leaving their spouses home.  My children are scattered across the USofA.  The logistics will be crazy.  At this point, everyone will have to meet up at the resort rather than at the airport or someone's house.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

My parents started inviting themselves on vacation with us once we had kids!  It was nice as it was helpful when the kids were little.  In elementary school, we took the kids on a Disney cruise and that was their vacation choice from then on.  My parents did come most of the time but once we had to go during Christmas/NYE break because of the kids schedules, they stopped coming as they couldn't stand all of the kids at that time on the ship.  I treasure that time with all of us on vacation.

My kids are mid-20's and we still take them on Disney cruises!  Most of the time we pay unless they want their own cabin.  One DD has taken her boyfriend and we all 4 cruised last Feb. and they paid their own way.

Honored Contributor

My parents would rent a large house "down the shore". And invite their kids and their kid's kids.

It was a nice way for everyone to be together for a week. Because we were scattered about. Sadly, Daughter-in-law took offense to my Mother getting upset that Daughter-in-law paid no attention to her kids when they were swimming. Daughter-in-law refused to see/talk to my parents again. 

So that ended summer trips as an extended family.

Honored Contributor

Yes...we (parents, kids, spouses, grandkids, and dog) rent a big house on the ocean in The Outer Banks of North Carolina every 4th of July week.

We all love it and look forward to it every Summer.

Esteemed Contributor

We occasionally take vacations with our kids when their schedules allow.  Several years ago we rented a condo on Maui for two weeks and one of our sons and his wife joined us for a week ( their first trip to HI ).  More frequently we pull out our 5 th wheel that we keep at Pismo and one or both sons and their families join us.  That's nice because we can all visit DHs family in Santa Maria ( they have yearly subscriptions to various wineries, so that's especially fun).

Trusted Contributor

I am 49 years old and my parents began taking me and my siblings and all of our families on vacation about 15 years ago. We do this every other year. We all live in the Midwest and have gone to Florida, Colorado, Mexico, etc. We all enjoy this time together!  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Yes we do.I'm glad to see others enjoy being with their kids too.

We've always liked hanging out with each other separately and together probably more than anyone else.

It takes a lot to organize around schedules esp with grandkids, but when it happens it's wonderful.I live near 2 of my children so I am lucky I know. 

When choosing a vacation place we try to make it half way for everyone.

And yes its gotta be the beach! 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

No, we do not. As we live at the beach, they sometimes will visit us here for a few days.

Honored Contributor

No. Regardless of where I'm going, I am not comfortable when I travel. I hate riding in the car, hate restaurant food, hate sleeping in a strange bed, and hate spending money when I'd rather be home!