Contributor

Family Vacation with Adult Children

I'm wondering how many of you go on an annual family vacations with your adult children and their familes.  Do a lot of people still do this?  Just wondering if we are out of the norm and at what point the kids don't want to go along anymore.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Family Vacation with Adult Children

[ Edited ]

Yes, we have for many years but now the kids prefer to make their own plans.  GD getting older and time to let her parents take her where they want  -- and "pay" ... lol 

Disney used to be our vacation spot but we grew out of it.  We had planned a trip this year (2021) - then I realized not a good idea.

When they visit us its like a vacation because I get to enjoy my GD and mom & dad can do their own thing.

Lots have changed this year due to Covid where we are able to just go vs. before when we had to plan around school schedules.  I'm surprised how well my GD adapted to this new way of learning!  

Now, they just call and say we're coming for a few days - that is fine with us.

Esteemed Contributor

My children stopped coming on vacations with us when they graduated high school and went on to college.  It was a nice reprive for us, LOL!     Over the years though after I recovered from an illness, we took them on a vacation back to Universal Studios in Florida.  They had been as kids and were big Harry Potter fans so we went mostly to see Harry Potter World.  It was 6 years ago and they were 30 and 31.  I think I had as much fun on that trip as I had when they were little.  We laughed so much our stomachs literally hurt.  We want to do it again after this Covid ordeal.  Life is short, you have to spend time with the people you love Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We never did vacation with parents after we were married. 

I think it is more common in later generations, where grandparents are a more involved part of their children's families than back in the day.  

Honored Contributor

We have done it a few times and hope to again in next year or two.  It is nice for all of us since one son and family live out of town.  We have rented homes both at beach and mountains where there is something for everyone to do.  We do things together or go our separate ways but always gather for dinner together.  As mom and dad, it sure is nice having our family under one roof for a week.

It is getting a little more difficult as grandchildren get older and have busier schedules.  It takes a lot of planning but is worth it.

Contributor

We try and do this yearly with our adult children and their families. We didn't in 2020 though because of covid, and probably won't in 2021 for the same reason.

Regular Contributor

We do this every year in August just before school starts. This year will be our 12th year.  We decided about about 18 years ago to purchase 2 time shares.  They are located in a lovely area within driving distance (4 hrs.).  There is a lot of shopping, but also numerous shows you can go to and many restaurants. There is a kitchen and laundry area in each condo and they are attached.  The resort also has many activities; 3 swimming pools as well as a number of game areas and other activities. 

There are 20 of us.  Some come for a few days, some come for the week.  Others come every few years.  It doesn't cost any of our family for hotel space.  We can sleep twelve easily and if there are more the kids bring sleeping bags.  It's a great time for our 10 grandkids to be together. 

We also have the ability to trade our time in and go to other locations.  A time share isn't for everyone.  It has been a good choice for us because we were spending more on a 3 day trip just for the two of us than we pay each year in mainenance fees and we stay for 1 week. We have 2 of our children who plan to take it over when we aren't able to go so the tradition will continue. It's a wonderful time of bonding for all of us.  We just let everyone do what they enjoy.  It's a vacation and a family experience all in one.

Esteemed Contributor

No. I don't even travel by myself!

My oldest vacations with his in-laws and all their kids, kids' spouses and now a couple of grands.

My former neighbor's in-laws took the whole fam on exotic vacations every year.

My in-laws, in their retirement, rented a beach house for a month every year and we would visit for a weekend.

Respected Contributor

There is around 18 family members all living different areas,  we always try to get together at Christmas and having teenagers, twenty year olds, Mums, Dads, etc - all ages - all met on a cruise and it was Christmas.

It worked very well.  Teens/youngsters  got to do their thing as did we all - meeting up at pool or dinner time or tge shows at night.  Also went on lots of excursions from hiking, shopping, horse riding. etc.

With all our different ages this worked well and we had great Christmases together.  Not now unfortunately.

Esteemed Contributor

My adult son always liked going on vacation with us. He  said that we were fun parents.

In August of 2019 my son & his then fiancée took us & her parents to Las Vegas. We had a blast.We had such a great time together that we decided we would take at least one trip a year together. This year we were supposed to go to England but thanks to Covid it's not going happen.

It's great when parents & their adult children enjoy spending  time together.It creates some very special memories.