Trusted Contributor

Ever done a “test” pack for a longer trip?

We haven’t taken a 2 week trip in a couple of years (car trip from MIchigan to Maine & back). I also haven’t used packing cubes before. Decided to do a test pack today and was pleasantly surprised that everything on my list fit nicely. I was afraid I would have to roll up my tee shirts in the medium sized cubes, but found that I can just fold and stack them and that is going to work just fine. Just have to find room for a fleece jacket and raincoat somewhere, but they may be able to lay free in the back of our vehicle. Glad I did this to put my mind at ease that everything fits!

Honored Contributor

Re: Ever done a “test” pack for a longer trip?

@joannecha So glad you found that you were able to fit nicely everything on your list.

I did a test pack for a six-week trip, but it was mostly to know how much of my facial and hair products to take. 

Six weeks before I left for the six-week trip, I would see how much cleanser I went thru for washing my hair, how much body cream I went thru, etc. I would check to see how long my electric tooth brush lasted before I needed to charge it, and of course I had to take the charger. ha!

But that type of exercise helped me to determine what size bottle/container I needed for each of the products I use.

For clothes, I take as little as possible. I figure I will be meeting people who will never see me again, and they won't care if they see me in something more than once. I can either hand wash things or have the hotel launder them for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Neurotic packer here.

Have the ability to stare at suitcases, bags and belongings for weeks.

Contemplate and organize in my mind for minute by minute needs.

Don't know if it is a gift or a curse.

It is ridicoulous  all the time wasted,  I can buy anything I need.

Honored Contributor

Put the fleece jacket flat on top of the things in the suitcase.  Opened up and inside down on the clothes.  Push the arms down around the clothes between them and the sides of the suitcase.  It will lie flat AND hold the clothes in.  

Take old clothes you can throw away on days on the road. 

Honored Contributor

No.     I take the bare minumum with me.    (And THAT is usually too much.)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Put the fleece jacket flat on top of the things in the suitcase.  Opened up and inside down on the clothes.  Push the arms down around the clothes between them and the sides of the suitcase.  It will lie flat AND hold the clothes in.  

Take old clothes you can throw away on days on the road. 

@Sooner I met someone while in Vietnam and Cambodia who did that very thing. She would pack only things she didn't want to keep. She would offer them to the hotel maids or others she found along the way. I believe she said the only thing she arrived home with was her underwear! ha!

Honored Contributor

I am a list maker.  I make a list and scale it back.  I can usually tell if everything will fit.  It's when I don't make a list and start grabbing things, that I get in trouble.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I am a list maker.  I make a list and scale it back.  I can usually tell if everything will fit.  It's when I don't make a list and start grabbing things, that I get in trouble.

Yep!  I make a list and work on it and pack every outfit day by day, plus a couple extra.  I can wear clothes at night going out, repurpose them and I always pack half as much as my husband!  Now that's saying something!  

You can also take a flattened box, some tape and a marker and mail half the stuff home after you've worn it.  That is a WONDERFUL thing to do!  Doesn't cost that much if the box is not too big and you can really pack a lot in it. Insure it and HOPE!  But mine have always made it home! Ha ha!

Respected Contributor

I always take more clothes and shoes with me, I like to have a choice, I never know what I want to wear.... 

Honored Contributor

I'm with you 

It's my OCD

It's not a test pack it's a pre-pack

Then re-pack

Over and over.

Why oh why?

@hopi wrote:

Neurotic packer here.

Have the ability to stare at suitcases, bags and belongings for weeks.

Contemplate and organize in my mind for minute by minute needs.

Don't know if it is a gift or a curse.

It is ridicoulous  all the time wasted,  I can buy anything I need.