Respected Contributor

Re: England Wales & Scotland

Thanks for the trip update. I was horribly jet lagged our first trip in 04 and it took hours to get in our room. It was terribly hot for May and no air conditioning. The first 2 days of the tour I felt yucky. It won't help you with this trip but Magellan's sells some tablets for her lag and they helped me on other trips.

The mini puddlejumper should be available Tuesday at 9 pm edt as it's on Q2.

Honored Contributor

Hi Everyone!  Made it to Cheltenham today.  Stopped in Oxford - what a delightful place.  Hoped some of the knowledge would seep into my brain through osmosis, however, that did not happen.  Instead I bought a t-shirt so people would think I was smart!  Haha!  After Oxford we stopped in a village called Bladon & saw where Winston Churchill is buried & the sweet church next to the cemetery.  Then on to another village for a quick stop for tea.  It was raining, more like a heavy misty rain, and cold and I didn't have my coat or umbrella - they were in my suitcase - so I stayed on the bus and took a nap.  Still not feeling all that great so didn't think it'd be a good idea to get wet and cold.  We're now at our hotel in Cheltenham and I have a beautiful view of the garden from my room.  I do love English gardens.

For the most part the trip is going ok.  Some of the people tho make me wonder why they even bother to travel.  If this is what they are like at the beginning of the trip, I can only imagine what they will be like at the end.  Thank goodness the group is big enough that I can, for the most part, avoid them.

The scenery has been beautiful, lush, and green.  Reminds me a lot of Ireland, which makes sense.  Love the villages and thatched roof houses.  Oh my the narrow roads on a bus, all i can say is thank goodness for a good coach driver.  

Tomorrow is Bath & Stonehenge.  It is supposed to rain but hoping it won't be too bad.  Also hoping that I start feeling more like myself.

Honored Contributor

@JudyL Oh, so good to hear from you! Glad you are loving the countryside/greenery. And yes, it sure is a lot like Ireland once you get out in the country.

I am eager to hear what you think of Stonehenge, as I was surprised that the whole area wasn't bigger. It always looks huge in photos to me. Guess if you stand right up next to them, they are, but it was the general feeling of people I was with that we all were planning on it taking up more space (acreage-wise) than it does. 

How many in your group?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good to see your report! Hope you feel better.

Sorry about the rotten apples - do people really do NO preparation for a trip to not know what they are getting into? Maybe I'm the crazy one - already looking at trips I don't plan to take for years!! I remember a story I read (on the internet, so take it for what it is). Couple on an Antarctic expedition cruise and, on one of the landings, the wife huffed "this again?!" and went back to the ship. Maybe she was expecting a mall??

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler

I don't know how many are in the group.  I'll say 40.  I know what you mean about Stonehenge being smaller.  I felt that way about the entrance to Westminster Abbey.  I even asked him where was the main entrance cuz I thought what he was showing us was a side entrance.  I apologized for not knowing and told him on tv it looks a lot bigger.  He had a good humor about it.

@Alter Ego  i agree about people not being prepared but also, I believe, its about some people not being tolerant of anything that is not like home and their unwillingness to accept differences, which goes back to my original statement of why do they even bother to travel

Honored Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

@World Traveler

I don't know how many are in the group.  I'll say 40.  I know what you mean about Stonehenge being smaller.  I felt that way about the entrance to Westminster Abbey.  I even asked him where was the main entrance cuz I thought what he was showing us was a side entrance.  I apologized for not knowing and told him on tv it looks a lot bigger.  He had a good humor about it.

@JudyL LOL!!!! I thought the front of Buckingham Palace looked smaller in person. There have been a lot of programs about Princess Diana on lately due to the anniversary of her death in a couple of days. And I say to myself...."I was there!" when they show the palace and the mall. I walked down part of the mall just to experience it.

And I took a photo of the front of the palace while standing by the gate, right in the middle, in front of the main entry. I had to elbow my way in, but I did it! ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@JudyL wrote:

its about some people not being tolerant of anything that is not like home and their unwillingness to accept differences, which goes back to my original statement of why do they even bother to travel

Ugh! And I'm sure they are American - the stereotype that you hope is only a myth but know it's true.  I'm sure they are loud too.  I'm so sorry; I really hope they don't bring down the vibe of the entire group.

Honored Contributor

Popping in real quick as i need to get going - bags out in an hour!  Yesterday was Bath & Stonehenge.  Both interesting and fun places.  Lots of beautiful countryside with LOTS of sheep!  Today we're off to Wales.  Sorry this is so short, got to get going

Honored Contributor

@JudyL Always good to hear from you. Understand the rush. There is so much to see in such a short time. 

When you get a chance, I am curious to know your thoughts on Stonehenge. Was it what you expected? I expected it to take up way more space out there. They are tall, yes; but the not so very large area they occupy for all of them was a surprise to me. From all the photos I saw online, I thought it would be much larger and it would take longer to walk around them.

Keep posting! We love to hear from you.

Valued Contributor

Perhaps you answered this in a different post, but could you tell me which tour provider you are using?  Are you going as a single, or do you share with someone? If a single, how much extra did it cost?

Which airline did you use for the flight over? Was it part of the tour package, or did you book on your own?

Have a great time. I've always wanted to do this tour. I did a Globus/Aer Lingus tour of Ireland and LOVED it!

Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!