Honored Contributor

Re: England, Ireland, Amsterdam

I have been to all 3.  England many, many times.  Ireland only 2 times, and Amsterdam also 2 times.

My favorite is England, not just because of all the amazing historical sites in London, but because of the beautiful countryside and the kindness of the people.

You can spend weeks and weeks just trying to see everything interesting in London and still not finish, and the sense of history, the amazing things you can see is ... well awesome, especially when thinking of what we consider old, and what they consider old.

But, that said, I think the English countryside is my favorite.  So many places with the lovely homes, the open fields, the gardens of the grand homes, and of the cottages, the tea shops, the seaside, the canals, just love it all.

I have taken 2 narrow boat trips through 2 of the canal rings and they were both great.  We were our own crew, cooks, cleaners, pilots, and lock keepers.  We met so many people walking their doggies along the canal side, and tied up when we saw an interesting little village to explore.  I would love to take one more narrow boat tour.

Also Cornwall, beautiful, the wild cliffs, and the paths up them (pant, pant), the sharp breeze, the warm sun, and again the people.

If I had to choose I would choose England with some time both in London and in the countryside

Happy Trails to You!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

How long a trip? We prefer to choose ONE place and then relax, hang out, and  get a feel for it. No rushing from one tourist site to another. Amsterdam is a great walking city! 

Esteemed Contributor

I, too have been to all three destinations. My best friend from childhood lives in Holland and I’ve visited her several times. It is a beautiful country and the canals in Amsterdam are wonderful. The Indonesian rice tables are a memorable feast. England is spectacular, filled with history and beautiful scenery, both urban and rural. My favorite is Ireland. It is truly a spectacular adventure in the color green. The pubs are so much fun. The scenery is fantastic, and the people are terrific.