Respected Contributor

Thinking of one of these or all 3! for a trip in the spring.  Anyone been and if so, any travel tips?

I have been to Italy, so my packing will be different this time around!

Honored Contributor

Re: England, Ireland, Amsterdam

That's a lot to cover unless you're going for at least 3 weeks.  A week easily can be spent in England and another in Ireland.  To me Amsterdam would be a separate trip which I would combine with Belgium, one of my favorite countries.

Super Contributor

My husband and I have been to both Amsterdam and Ireland. Both times we packed in layers along with rain gear. We were in Ireland in the month of August, but I can't remember when in Amsterdam. In the spring of the year both placed are going to get a little chilly at night. Are you going to rent a car when you go? We were on foot in Amsterdam, but we drove in Ireland. Driving in Ireland was our first time driving on the left side of the road. It was even the more joyful that our rental car was a 5 speed. We had reserved an automatic, but our flight was delayed into Dublin so all the automatics were gone by the time we arrived. My husband and I basically team shifted. My husband worked the clutch and brake and I did the shifter all the while I am screaming "Left Babe! Stay to the left!" We were never so glad to get a rental car back to the airport as we were that one. It was in one piece and we hadn't killed anyone including ourselves. 

Trusted Contributor

We were in Amsterdam a year ago. It was fantastic. The history, sights, Ann Frank home,  how the canals were made I could go on and on.  Not too mention the viking ships. I understand that Amsterdam is the new city to go see.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl I have been to all three. My favorite was Ireland (two summers ago). It was so beautiful, very green. The people were exceptionally nice and welcoming to a tourist. I had one lady come right up to me on the street, grab my arm and welcome me to her country. Scared me at first! ha! Wasn't used to that. When packing for Ireland, I found layers worked the best, as it would rain sometime without much notice.

England is wonderful too, but I found I couldn't do everything I wanted to in a timely way. For me, it merits a long stay than what I did. It was quite warm when I was there in June.

It has been years since I went to Amsterdam, but remember it fondly because of its beauty, the beautiful flowers (particularly tulips), and the "oldness" of the country. Loved the cobblestones and architecture.

You will have a wonderful time no matter which one you choose. If you have not already been, you might consider doing the three British countries (Wales, Scotland, and England).

Again, layering is usually the smart way to go when packing clothes to any country you choose and taking clothes with colors easy to mix and match, thus making your suitcase lighter. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

A few years ago my sister and I had a tour that went from London to Amsterdam.  We left early in the morning, boarded the ferry across the English Channel, then spent the duration of the day on bus arriving in Amsterdam for dinner.  It was a very long day.

If you have at least 2 weeks, I'd start in Ireland for a week, fly to London, spend 5 days touring England, then fly to Amsterdam for 2 full days.  The Amsterdam airport is a huge hub and it would be easy to get a flight back home.

In spring, all 3 destinations would be cool so you'd need layers and rain gear in all of them.

Honored Contributor

I"ve been to England and Ireland.  One year I did a tour of Ireland - Northern and the Republic and then the next year did England, Wales, & Scotland.   I've never been to Amsterdam.  I went to Ireland and England in September each trip and the weather was comfortable - not to cool or warm - but we did get rain so go prepared for that.

My suggestion would be to do Ireland and England and, if possible, do Amsterdam another time.  To really enjoy Ireland and England a week in each place is the best.  Whatever you decide to do, the important thing is to go and enjoy yourself!

Valued Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Thinking of one of these or all 3! for a trip in the spring.  Anyone been and if so, any travel tips?

I have been to Italy, so my packing will be different this time around!

I have been to England and Amsterdam and they can easily be paired traveling by high speed train through the Channel Tunnel.   Fly into one city or country and home from the other to avoid back tracking.  In May 2 years ago London was warm and humid, same with northern France last June.  Gardens were beautiful however something I had missed during our usual fall travel dates.

How long will you have to travel?

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Been to England many times, Ireland twice and Amsterdam once. I recommend all but to answer requires more of what you like to do, see, experience.  Don't think you can go wrong with any but Eng land is always in my heart.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@bargainsgirl I have been to all three. My favorite was Ireland (two summers ago). It was so beautiful, very green. The people were exceptionally nice and welcoming to a tourist. I had one lady come right up to me on the street, grab my arm and welcome me to her country. Scared me at first! ha! Wasn't used to that. When packing for Ireland, I found layers worked the best, as it would rain sometime without much notice.

England is wonderful too, but I found I couldn't do everything I wanted to in a timely way. For me, it merits a long stay than what I did. It was quite warm when I was there in June.

It has been years since I went to Amsterdam, but remember it fondly because of its beauty, the beautiful flowers (particularly tulips), and the "oldness" of the country. Loved the cobblestones and architecture.

You will have a wonderful time no matter which one you choose. If you have not already been, you might consider doing the three British countries (Wales, Scotland, and England).

Again, layering is usually the smart way to go when packing clothes to any country you choose and taking clothes with colors easy to mix and match, thus making your suitcase lighter. Smiley Happy

@World Traveler . Glad to hear that you enjoyed Ireland!  I'm excited to say that we have an extended family (DH, adult kids, siblings & cousins) trip planned in the early fall there.  Since there will be twelve of us we have a company giving us a private tour..I'm really looking forward to it! Smiley Happy