Respected Contributor

We have tracfones and they do not work in Europe.  I do have an Amazon Fire 7 tablet and I want to be sure that I can use it to email home.  Thinking of upgrading to the Fire 8 cause my 7 is very slow.  Hate to spend the $ on an Apple ipad.  Does anyone know if Amazon tablets will work overseas?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Emails from Europe to USA

We used WhatsApp on our Iphones to email back and forth from the UK and France, and it worked very well.  My Ipad worked fine in France, but would not work in the UK, for unknown reasons, but it is one of the older editions.

Esteemed Contributor

I also use Facebook What's App to talk with my child in Europe.

Often the signal on my phone is bad, so at those times we talk live by voice over Facebook.

Trusted Contributor

If you do go the route of the Ipad, get a refurbished one.

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

I also use Facebook What's App to talk with my child in Europe.

Often the signal on my phone is bad, so at those times we talk live by voice over Facebook.

I agree, @queendiva .  I have cousins in Italy.  We either use What's App or FaceTime to communicate.  

Esteemed Contributor

@dawg lover wrote:

We used WhatsApp on our Iphones to email back and forth from the UK and France, and it worked very well.  My Ipad worked fine in France, but would not work in the UK, for unknown reasons, but it is one of the older editions.

@dawg lover     I also use WhatsApp to communicate with my cousins in Italy.  Also use FaceTime.  Will only bring my iPhone with me when we go this year because I can use both WhatsApp and FaceTime on it so no need to bring anything else.  

Super Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

We have tracfones and they do not work in Europe.  I do have an Amazon Fire 7 tablet and I want to be sure that I can use it to email home.  Thinking of upgrading to the Fire 8 cause my 7 is very slow.  Hate to spend the $ on an Apple ipad.  Does anyone know if Amazon tablets will work overseas?

I used my Amazon Fire for email while in Italy.  Connect to the hotel/cafe wifi and you're good to go.  I also found that the hotels have computers available in the lobby or other common areas.  Hope you have a great trip!

Respected Contributor

Be careful careful careful of public Wi-Fi. I almost paid my entire apartment rent to someone who had hacked into my landlord’s phone in a coffee shop recently.  It was only when they requested me to send the rent by Wells Fargo that I got suspicious and literally called my landlord to confirm their request and they didn’t know when I was talking about.

They had gone on holiday and had to use the public Wi-Fi in a coffee shop. So be careful careful careful the Wi-Fi you get on to.

Respected Contributor

My husband and I both have Tracfone smart phones.  He went to Europe twice and emailed me from his normal email program on his phone and I emailed him back from mine, no problems at all.  He did it while at his hotel. We did not need a special app or anything.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, they do work.  I have used Fire 7,8 10 all over the world.  In China you can't use any Google sites but otherwise everything worked (and very fast).