Trusted Contributor

East Louisville, KY area

[ Edited ]

We are heading from Springfield, IL to Gatlinburg, TN in a couple of weeks. I know it's a fairly short trip, but are planning to stop overnight approximately halfway which is the Louisville Kentucky area.  We were thinking about staying in East Louisville, but wondering if anyone knows of something to do there or a different town along the way that would be a good place to stay and explore the area a little.

TIA! 😊

ETA there will be no children on that leg of the trip. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Re: East Louisville, KY area

@BExplorer   Glad you asked because I have the same question--what to do in Louisville.  We're planning on taking a river cruise that begins in Louisville and wonder if it's worth more than the overnight stay the cruise includes.

Trusted Contributor

For what it's worth, my brother was just in Louisville and spent the night in downtown Louisville.  While he said the hotel was fine, the area was really bad. He said he heard sirens all night long and would not let anyone go out to the car by themselves at night. However, that could've just been a specific area of downtown that seemed to be a dangerous area.  His hotel was located at 132 E. Jefferson if that helps @kaydee50 .

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@BExplorer   Thanks for the info.  The cruise line stays at the Brown Hotel which is a few blocks from the address you mentioned.  What DH found was that there were no restaurants in the area except some fast food places.  I don't think we'll extend our stay!!

I hope people who live in the area don't get insulted, none was intended!!!

Frequent Contributor

I have lived in Lexington for 45 years and there is plenty to do if you rent a car and explore the area. There is the Bourbon Trail if you are a bourbon fan, beautiful distilleries    And great tasting rooms. Midway is a charming small town closer to Lexington with small shops and sitting in the middle of bluegrass horse country. Lexington has beautiful horse farms to tour, Keeneland race track, historical homes and great restaurants. 

I know Wilma (she posts in the fashion thread) is from Louisville and she may have good suggestions for her city.

It is a beautiful area to visit, especially in the springtime. 

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply and great suggestions @ByrdieK!  I'm not a bourbon fan but it may be fun to check out a distillery anyway 😊. Thank you for suggesting Midway,  I will definitely look into that.  I was actually thinking about stopping in Lexington if not Louisville. It's great to hear of opinions from someone in the area.  Have a great night!

Frequent Contributor

Woodford Reserve bourbon distillery is outside Midway and I think one of the best to visit. The drive to it is beautiful, horse farms on both sides of the road. It is where we take out of town visitors and they love it. I'm not a bourbon enthusiast either, but it is well worth the visit. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks so much for the distillery recommendation @ByrdieK .  Your responses are very helpful 😊!