Honored Contributor

Re: Dynamics of your State

[ Edited ]

Oklahoma didn't become a State until 1907.  Before that it was Oklahoma Territory and Indian Territory (the eastern part). 

The geography of this state is interesting and varied:  The eastern part are hilly and green, and incorporate the Boston Mountains in the northeast and the Ouachitas in the southeast.  In the far southeast there are swamps and alligators.  

The plains and grasslands dominate the middle, with the ancient Arbuckle Mountains and Turner falls in the south central.  The west is predominantly dry, with the Glass Mountains and even high mesa in the northwest an Panhandle, where Black Mesa is the highest point in the State.

We are famous for old Route 66, the mother road, and are the state where I-40 and I-35 cross.  

We have a large population of Native Americans and on the capital dome is a fabulous statue of a warrior looking to the south--as we joke, guarding us from Texas.  Or Baja Oklahoma!  At one time we had more shoreline than any other state, although landlocked we have a lot of large lakes.

And it's not uncommon to find people who own land that was last purchased from France by Thomas Jefferson. 

Trusted Contributor

I live in Michigan,The Mitten State, west Michigan to be exact. If you put your left hand in front of you, palm facing out, I am approximately at the base of your ring finger. And if you were to put your right hand above the left (rotate your right hand so your fingers face left), that would be the Upper Peninsula, or, as we call it, the UP. We are a big tourist state because of the Great Lakes that surround us. I am about 45 minutes from Lake Michigan. We are in a high wind warning today and will be driving over to check out the huge waves (there will be kite surfers flying today). Grand Rapids is our 2nd largest city, Detroit being the largest. I think a lot of people think of Detroit when they hear the name of my state, but we are so much more. Lots of orchards and farmland in my neck of the woods. And we have lots of water inland too. I think our state has one of the highest number of boat owners in the US. Almost forgot the Mackinaw Bridge between the lower and upper peninsulas. It bridges the Straits of Mackinaw, where Lake Michigan and Lake Huron come together.