Contributor

Driving from Maryland to Topsail Island NC in August.

[ Edited ]

Our first visit there. 

House on the beach. 

We’ll have my son and daughter in law and 3 grandsons. 

Ages 6, 13 and 15. 

Looking forward to fishing, swimming, para sailing.....

anything I shouldn’t miss?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Driving from Maryland to Topsail Island NC in August.

Be sure not to miss possible signs posted on the beach warning of sharks!  I don’t want to be a downer to your plans, but NC beaches have  had some shark attacks recently and you want to be sure the beaches you might frequent with the kids are not experiencing threats. The warmer the water, the increase in possibility. Walk the beach to check for posted signs or ask at the lifeguard station. 

NC coast and its islands are fabulous play areas with great choices for fun and the very friendliest hosts and staff in resorts, restaurants, and sports sites. It’s very casual and you’ll be made welcome everywhere. You will love your vacation. It will be hot and humid. But a house in the beach can be comfy with any breeze at all—if there is no AC. 

(Don’t let the boys resist applying sunscreen when outdoors for hours.) 

Contributor

Thanks so much. The news has worried me a little. I’ve been told the water is only 18” deep for a pretty long way so I’m hoping the kids can play there. I will definitely be the look out!

dam Peter Benchley has kept me out of the ocean since Jaws!

Esteemed Contributor

I will also add to pay attention to signs/flags for rip currents.

And, pay attention to the weather reports. Hurricane season began June 1 and really ramps up from August-October.

Respected Contributor

Be sure not to miss me standing by the side of the road hoping you will let me go with you.  Smiley LOL

Sounds like a fantastic trip....enjoy.

Respected Contributor

We travel yearly to the Outer Banks, NC in July.  I would add not to swim in the ocean at dusk - apparently that is dinner time for the sharks!  Where we stay, near Avon, the waves can be pretty rough - we use common sense and don't swim when it is rough.  Have a great, safe trip!

Esteemed Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 , a good warning to be careful with heavy wave action.  At the shoreline, it can take the ground right out from under your feet.  Love the Carolinas.  Have fun!  LM