Honored Contributor

Re: Domestic Airplanes Flying Almost Empty??

@Reever wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Some of my family flew to Florida today. The flight was full.

I fear that airplanes are incubators. I remmeber the days of smoke filled planes. HEPA air filtration systems didnt seem to do any good back then.  I certainly wouldnt believe anything that comes out of a CEOs mouth. Their only concern is the price of the stock ticker.

@Reever  Well, I’m happy to say they made it. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Hoovermom wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

Anyone flying these days has a hole in their head.   The recycled cabin air is notorious for spreading gerns, The President is even considering shutting down domestic travel to certain cities in the US !    

Ah, @Reever , spreading sunshine and happiness everywhere you go. NOT!

When was the last time you actually got on an airplane? Airplane air is cleaner than the air you breathe in many, many places, with hospital quality HEPA filters removing nearly all of the particulates in the air. 

For those who may be interested In facts, here’s just one of MANY articles that explains it:

https://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/cabin-air-quality/

There are plenty of surfaces in an aircraft cabin where germs can reside, it’s not the air that’s the problem. And in over 1 million butt-in-seat miles flown, I’ve never once gotten so much as a sniffle from being on an airplane. 

I’m flying tomorrow. I’m not concerned. If I were vulnerable or at risk, I might reconsider it. But not because of air quality on the aircraft. 

@FrostyBabe1 :  Delta airlines has put a video on the steps they are taking to disinfect all their planes @Reever   Pretty effective and impressive.  I trust them completely with my upcoming flights.

I’m a loyal Delta Medallion.  Just flew my first leg of the day and am having breakfast in the club. I’ve gotten a number of emails from them detailing steps they were taking. Specifically on this flight, pillows and blankets are gone from first class (there haven’t been any in coach domestically for some time). Cabin crew was wearing gloves and passing out alcohol wipes to anyone who asked. No helping yourself to the snack basket  in first class. You tell the FA what you want and they give it to you. Drink refills were readily available, but you got a clean glass with each. I used 4 coffee mugs.  The aircraft was completely full up front and about 85% full in coach. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I fear that airplanes are incubators. I remmeber the days of smoke filled planes. HEPA air filtration systems didnt seem to do any good back then.  I certainly wouldnt believe anything that comes out of a CEOs mouth. Their only concern is the price of the stock ticker.

Oh, good grief. Airlines started phasing out smoking onboard, depending on the smoking material and length of flight back in the late 1970’s, with all smoking being completely banned in 2000. It’s been TWENTY YEARS and has absolutely no relevance to the technology and practice in place today. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Oh, good grief. Airlines started phasing out smoking onboard, depending on the smoking material and length of flight back in the late 1970’s, with all smoking being completely banned in 2000. It’s been TWENTY YEARS and has absolutely no relevance to the technology and practice in place today. 

The President himself said and I am quoting " i would not fly anywhere if I dont have to".   Anyone willingly flying these days has a hole in their head.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

The President himself said and I am quoting " i would not fly anywhere if I dont have to".   Anyone willingly flying these days has a hole in their head.

Got it. No cogent argument to support your postion so you change the direction of your rock throwing. I'll not waste any more time trying to provide facts and bring you into this decade. You're not interested. 

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Got it. No cogent argument to support your postion so you change the direction of your rock throwing. I'll not waste any more time trying to provide facts and bring you into this decade. You're not interested. 

Planes are flying at 40 percent capacity and there is talk of a govenment bail out. I must not be the only person who is refusing to fly.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Reever wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Planes are flying at 40 percent capacity and there is talk of a govenment bail out. I must not be the only person who is refusing to fly.

No, they are not. I flew yesterday. Both flights were completely booked in first class and 75-80% full in coach. All three of the airports that I passed thru were crowded and busy. Even at 6:00 AM.  Delta is in the process of cutting capacity by a TOTAL of 40%, but that includes European and Asian routes that have already been reduced. American is reducing international capacity for the peak summer season by 55% and domestic by 7.5% for the month of April. You have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about on this subject. NONE.

The talk of financial assistance from the government extends to ALL industries, not just the airlines. Small businesses will need the help even more. 

You should really quit before you dig yourself into an even deeper hole of obvious ignorance. 

And now I'm going to take some wise advice and discontinue engaging with you. You don't want facts. You don't want reason. You never do. 

Respected Contributor

FrostyBabe, I appreciate your stance but vehemently disagree with you.  Thats what makes our country the greatest!   While I personally would not fly, I would not stop other Americans from chosing to do so.  My fear is this will get worse before it gets better. I was ahead of the curve on this. If you look back, I advocated curtailing travel from China 2 weeks before it was halted.  I am being extra cautious. I am on oxygen.

Respected Contributor

Southwest Airlines has announced it is cutting capacity by 20 percent due to cancellations and lack of bookings.   The CEO said the closest thing this resembles is the post 9/11 fear of flying.

Respected Contributor

I flew on Friday and Monday, full first class and full coach section.  The airports are not empty.....lots of people flying.