Honored Contributor

Domestic Airplanes Flying Almost Empty??

[ Edited ]

Wow!  I was speaking to someone after my workout class about my Southwest Airlines flight coming up in April and got a shock.  I don't remember her destination but she flew out of Midway Airport and back with only a few people, like seven or eight!  She said the airport was kind of empty, too, so it's not just Southwest having this problem.

I can see a lot of future flights being canceled.  I had heard about international flight cancellations but wasn't aware of domestic flights.  But I can't see planes going places with just a handful of people so......  Looks like I'll have to wait and see what happens.  It's out of my hands.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Re: Domestic Airplanes Flying Almost Empty??

I wouldn't have thought that would be happening yet. Perhaps as time goes on. I flew from LAX to O'Hare on Friday and the plane was full. It was a 757. I hadn't been to LAX before, so I can't speak to crowds. I didn't think the lines were bad. O'Hare looked like a typical Friday. It was hopping.
Respected Contributor

I heard that the airlines would be cancelling more and more flights since so many people are cancelling due to events and places being cancelled or closed. My daughter also said her work is not going to send any employees on any domestic or international flights for a while. I have a flight coming up in May and I kind of expect it to be cancelled. 

Honored Contributor

My friend flew recently and said very few were on the plane.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried to change my plans to go back north a couple of days earlier, and there just weren’t any seats available.  My flights on Saturday have a few scattered seats open at the back of economy, but both first and premium economy are completely sold out. YMMV vary based on destination and date. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

I think much depends on the cities you fly to and from.  On Tues. a family member flew from Newark NJ to Tampa FL and he said the flight was maybe 80% full.  United Airlines.

Honored Contributor

I checked Southwest two nights ago for bargain flights to Philly.  All the flights leaving at decent morning hours were sold out and there sure were no bargains; all were well over $400 round trip.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I booked SW flight for 4/8 Tampa to Philly.  It was $52.  

I do do not have return date probably will be high so I'll shop other airlines.

I normally do regional airport on Frontier but at SW price it's actually cheaper!

Respected Contributor

Anyone flying these days has a hole in their head.   The recycled cabin air is notorious for spreading gerns, The President is even considering shutting down domestic travel to certain cities in the US !    

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I think it depends on dates, destination.  I saw lowest fare of $49 ...it's changing by the minute!