Respected Contributor

Re: Domestic Airplanes Flying Almost Empty??

@Reever wrote:

Southwest Airlines has announced it is cutting capacity by 20 percent due to cancellations and lack of bookings.   The CEO said the closest thing this resembles is the post 9/11 fear of flying.

@Reever :  Maybe to satisfy your own mind, why not fly yourself and report back to us.

Honored Contributor

This past weekend, my sister, her daughter, and her granddaughter flew to Seattle. They walked right up to the counter and gave their suitcases, then went thru security with no one in front of them.

The plane was about half full. All three of them had no one in the front or back of them. 

Coming back the plane was probably 2/3 full. The airport was not very busy at all. No one checked them or asked any questions.

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

This past weekend, my sister, her daughter, and her granddaughter flew to Seattle. They walked right up to the counter and gave their suitcases, then went thru security with no one in front of them.

The plane was about half full. All three of them had no one in the front or back of them. 

Coming back the plane was probably 2/3 full. The airport was not very busy at all. No one checked them or asked any questions.

i pray they are ok World Traveler.  Those airplanes are nororious incubators for the flu. They may not show symptoms for up to 2 weeks so please be careful.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a relative who had to fly back home Sunday.  This was a domestic flight.  She said she had never been on such an empty plane.  It was almost eery.

United announced that they are cutting 60% of its domestic flights.  The airlines have asked for a government bailout so obviously, there is a problem.

I'm booked on a United flight to Florida in April and on SW coming home.  Our entire vacation will be canceled but I'm waiting for that to happen before I cancel our flights. But there will be 4 of us out on those flights.  The airlines are waving cancellation fees and giving a voucher for a future flight.  You have to use it within 1 year of when you booked your flight.

A friend of mine just booked a flight from Cleveland to Fort Myers for $24.00 round trip.  

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I had a relative who had to fly back home Sunday.  This was a domestic flight.  She said she had never been on such an empty plane.  It was almost eery.

United announced that they are cutting 60% of its domestic flights.  The airlines have asked for a government bailout so obviously, there is a problem.

I'm booked on a United flight to Florida in April and on SW coming home.  Our entire vacation will be canceled but I'm waiting for that to happen before I cancel our flights. But there will be 4 of us out on those flights.  The airlines are waving cancellation fees and giving a voucher for a future flight.  You have to use it within 1 year of when you booked your flight.

A friend of mine just booked a flight from Cleveland to Fort Myers for $24.00 round trip.  

Anyone flying right now is taking an un-necessary risk.  Vacations, jobs, gatherings etc can wait.  Value LIFE !

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Wow!  I was speaking to someone after my workout class about my Southwest Airlines flight coming up in April and got a shock.  I don't remember her destination but she flew out of Midway Airport and back with only a few people, like seven or eight!  She said the airport was kind of empty, too, so it's not just Southwest having this problem.

I can see a lot of future flights being canceled.  I had heard about international flight cancellations but wasn't aware of domestic flights.  But I can't see planes going places with just a handful of people so......  Looks like I'll have to wait and see what happens.  It's out of my hands.

My husband's friend/ex co-worker just started a new job which is going to require a lot of travel.  He texted my husband with pics from the airport in Atlanta.  It was pretty much empty.  Then he sent pics of the passengers on the plane.  Maybe 5 or 6 passengers including himself.  They were heading to Florida.

Regular Contributor

Sadly we just cancelled our 4/5 trip to Vegas to visit our daughters.  The city is nearly shut down.  Both are working from home as schools and theaters are closed.  As with everywhere, grocery stores are low on supplies.  Now that CA has gone into mandatory self-isolation, other states might follow suit.  

Fares are really low, r/t ticket from Vegas to Tampa was only $30.  My oldest considered coming when the school was officially on spring break and she wouldn't have to be online for work, but, said she was worried she would get stuck here if domestic flights become limited or shut off.  

Our tickets on Frontier can be cancelled and changed to use within 90 days, but, I don't think this will be all settled by then so we'll probably have to cancel and change again.

The oldest daughter is sad as she has a month long trip to Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam booked for her 33rd birthday in July.  She'll be able to cancel and rebook a trip in 2021, but, she was looking forward to this trip.  

We have a Christmas cruise booked for us and girls and hopefully by that time ships will be cleaned and sailing again.  

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Wow!  I was speaking to someone after my workout class about my Southwest Airlines flight coming up in April and got a shock.  I don't remember her destination but she flew out of Midway Airport and back with only a few people, like seven or eight!  She said the airport was kind of empty, too, so it's not just Southwest having this problem.

I can see a lot of future flights being canceled.  I had heard about international flight cancellations but wasn't aware of domestic flights.  But I can't see planes going places with just a handful of people so......  Looks like I'll have to wait and see what happens.  It's out of my hands.

My husband's friend/ex co-worker just started a new job which is going to require a lot of travel.  He texted my husband with pics from the airport in Atlanta.  It was pretty much empty.  Then he sent pics of the passengers on the plane.  Maybe 5 or 6 passengers including himself.  They were heading to Florida.

One of the news stations was live last night from Atlanta's airport and you could see a couple of people far off in the distance but otherwise, the place was empty.

Respected Contributor

Ive been begging people for weeks including a dear friend to avoid flying in these metallic germ incubators. The stale air is conducive to the common cold nonetheless something as potent as the Corona.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

Ive been begging people for weeks including a dear friend to avoid flying in these metallic germ incubators. The stale air is conducive to the common cold nonetheless something as potent as the Corona.

@Reever :  Have you actually be on a plane to verify this?  Now you should be happy, most flights have been cancelled.  Where is your evidence?