Respected Contributor

Does anyone use a miles credit card?

I have had a credit card for a specific airline for several years.  I used to be able to use my points for flights with no problems.  Now, there are limited flights available for rewards travel and the number of miles needed is ridiculous.   I was looking at the Capital One Venture card...it seems to be a much better option.  If you use a miles card, please tell me your thoughts.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone use a miles credit card?

I like the Capital One card.  I travel frequently.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I did at one time, once of our cards gave us miles on Continental, we flew to Phoenix and back on miles

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

I have a Delta AMEX card and it works well for me since I fly almost exclusively on Delta or other SkyTeam partners. 

I also have a Capital One Visa, but I've never used the points for anything other than just getting a statement credit. 

I think if you fly almost exclusively on one airline/alliance, an airline branded card works best. If you fly with multiple airlines, then something like the Capital One card is probably a better choice. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Frequent Contributor

I think your advice is well stated. It really does depend on the type and amount of travel a person does as well as their destinations. My favorite airline is Southwest and I have a Rapid Rewards Visa through them. The points awarded are pretty standard: every dollar spent earns 1 point unless it's purchases that are Southwest-related, then it's 2 points per $1 spent. Using my airpoints is so easy and there aren't the restrictions that can be with some bank credit cards. The number of points a flight costs is in direct proportion to the dollar cost of the ticket rather than the number of miles so when I find a cheap flight, it costs me fewer points, thus saving points for future travel. I also earn points on my Chase card but it requires more hoops to jump through to cash those points in and I don't get the same deals that I get when I use my Southwest Visa. You really have to do your homework but there are some pretty good credit card travel plans out there.

Esteemed Contributor

I fly almost exclusively on United so I have its mileage card. I have gone to Hawaii 3 times on award miles, used miles to upgrade to first class on a paid ticket to Hawaii, went to Australia on award miles, and will be going to England in March on award miles.

The trick is planning ahead as award capacity on some routes is limited, and when the cheapest award ticket seats are booked, you may find yourself getting the same route and time on an award ticket that requires more miles. After the preferred routes are gone, you  might still get an award ticket to that destination but it might be at hours you don't like or connecting airports.

**************** "A black cat crossing your path just means that it is going from one place to another." Proud owner of a black cat and a shopper of QVC since the merger with CVN.
Esteemed Contributor

I have an American airlines card.  Sometimes I think it's a scam as it is difficult to get reasonable flights.  If it's going to take me 3 days to get to my destination, what's the point?  You really have to spend a lot of time investigating, most times I just don't have the patience for it.

Esteemed Contributor

@lakesfan  Me too.  Southwest is the only airline I fly and I use my Visa Southwest whatever it is called for just about everything so when I need the points they seem to be there. This is one of the reasons I do not have store credit cards or a QVC credit card.

Respected Contributor

I like the fact that the Capital One Venture Card allows me to purchase my airline tickets, then use my rewards to pay for the purchase.  This way I'm not limited to what's available through the airline rewards program.  I fly mainly on American Airlines and their rewards programs are not nearly as good as they once were. 

Respected Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

I have had a credit card for a specific airline for several years.  I used to be able to use my points for flights with no problems.  Now, there are limited flights available for rewards travel and the number of miles needed is ridiculous.   I was looking at the Capital One Venture card...it seems to be a much better option.  If you use a miles card, please tell me your thoughts.

WE use United airline cards for years, periodically closing them when they become not free. Then open the new ones when they offer 50,000 miles as a promo with spending a certain amount in 3 months. This way we almost always flying to Europe for free.

Capital One is also good, our last trip to France we used our rewards by them for car rental and one hotel payment.  My DH has enough patience to follow all the rules of the game with these cards.