Trusted Contributor

My friends & family are really split on this. I love mine but spouse doesn't like them (too much trouble, he says). I especially like them for longer trips, but use them for just our shorter trips too. I will say that all of our journeys are road trips in our Jeep--no flying. I've used them for about 5 years and have gotten my packing routine down pat so I'm comfortable with my routine. How about you? Are packing cubes part of your travel life?

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you use packing cubes?

I love using cubes.  I feel I can pack more and the last couple trips I've taken, TSA has inspected my suitcase but my packing cubes kept items intact.  

Respected Contributor

I like using packing cubes too. I can get more in my suitcase and it stays nice and neat. 

Honored Contributor

I have never understood how you use them.  Do you pack a complete outfit in one?  Do you pack tees or undies in one?

Honored Contributor

LOVE packing cubes and only "discovered" them a few years ago.  Keeps everything neat and I just put the cube that holds underwear directly into the hotel's drawers.  I have 3 cubes in different sizes that I got at TJ Maxx for under $20.  

DH rolls all his clothes.   Works for him!

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I have never understood how you use them.  Do you pack a complete outfit in one?  Do you pack tees or undies in one?

I put underwear, socks and bras in one, tee shirts in another and pants in another. I never go anywhere fancy so there are no skirts, dresses or anything like that. Then I usually have one for tissue, aspirin, and small stuff for my carryon, plus I put an extra pair of underware and a tee in one and it goes in my carryon just in case. 

Honored Contributor

I have never had packing cubes but do you smaller sized space bags. 

Esteemed Contributor

YES!   I love them and find them very useful.  I usually use them for undergarments, socks, cami's and smaller personal items.  I also bring an empty one for the dirty ones.   I travel a lot (well on hold for now) and have used them for years .  I've even bought them for my adult kids for their travels as I find them so practical.   Samantha Brown on HSN has really good ones.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I bought them for my trip to China in 2000.  Since then, I have purchased more.  I always use them.  They keep everything neat and wrinkle free. I have a lot of different sizes.

I also use them in our rv.  They really are great.

We have been around world and our packing cubes are part of our travel.

I forget to mention that I use the envelopes too.  I like them better than the cubes.  The folders or envelopes come with a stiff board.  You fold your tees, or shorts or pants into the shape of the board and place them on a flat open envelope.  When done, you fold the envelope closed.  All the clothes are the same shap and size...like maybe 10x12".

I place  the folders and cubes into the suitcase like playing Tetris.  They fit like a puzzle.  Just perfect.

Trusted Contributor

Reply to Tansy: people use them whichever way best suits their travel needs. I have smaller ones that I use for underwear and socks. Tops go in one, bottoms in another, and one for my PJs and slippers. I also am using a very small one as a cord organizer. Some people put a day's outfit in each. Others  use a separate color for each family member. None of mine are compression bags, but I've heard that that kind can be zipped or compressed down to make more room. I do fold my clothes inside, not roll (that's a whole separate blog).