Honored Contributor

Re: Do you like to travel solo or only with others?

[ Edited ]

@Tique wrote:

I used to be the female who never did anything without someone else. I applied for a job that required business travel. I guess conceptually I knew that I would not have anyone with me but reality hit on that first trip after I boarded the plane, found my window seat, sat down, and buckled my seatbelt. That's when I felt what I think must have been the beginning of a panic attack. I willed myself to relax and took some deep breaths. It turned out to be one of the best things that could have happened. I had always liked travelling but without having to compromise or miss out on going to some places because the other person didn't want to propelled that enjoyment to a higher degree. My solo travel has included both domestic and international trips.

@Tique WOW! I totally identify. After traveling for years with my sister and father (mom usually stayed home), he died around 12 years ago. He planned all the trips and we just had to show up at the airport on time, and he took care of the rest. 

First trip alone was to China of all places! Didn't even dip my toe into going it alone in the United States first. Walked up to the wrong gate at the airport, and a whole bunch of other things that caused me to wonder what I was doing, trying to do this alone.

Sat down in the plane and thought that I would be okay from then on. Landed in China and then I could not find anyone who spoke English in the airport. In trying to get a taxi, I didn't know what anyone was saying to me.....started to follow a guy who indicated his taxi was right around the corner. After following him a few yards towards an area that didn't have a lot of people, I knew that was not a good idea.

Turned around and went back into the airport. I literally just wanted to sit down and cry. I was tired and so alone, and I waited until I could relax and think straight. It was very late at night.

Some wonderful lady took pity on me, she spoke very little English. I showed her the name of the hotel I was to go to. She walked me to a taxi and made sure the man understood where I wanted to go, and she conveyed to me not to pay more than a certin amount, because that is what she told him I would pay.

After a good night's sleep, I was renewed and had a wonderful time. But, OMG, what a first experience of traveling solo!

Respected Contributor

For many many years I only travelled with DH.  He did not like travel but went along with my choices. About 10 years ago he said that was it, he was no longer going to travel.  We had seen all of the USA and much of the world.  

Over the next 10 years I went to many places in Europe, cruises, visiting family and friends in the US, or just revisiting places I liked. Some were alone, some trips wee with my daughter or my sister. Both DH and I were happier - he enjoyed being home and I enjoyed the travel. 

Respected Contributor

I travel solo almost exclusively. I always meet lots of interesting people along the way. I took a hiking trip through some national parks last fall that was part of a tour and met some great new friends from Australia who've invited me to come visit them next fall.  When I was working, I traveled a lot, and if I didn't go because I didn't want to go alone, I wouldn't have had a job. If I do go with others, I always get my own room. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I don't travel by myself and probably never would.  However, I'm not a fan of traveling with other couples either.

DH and I either go by ourselves or I have traveled with a few close family members and we always have a great time.

The one and only time DH and I went on vacay with other couples, it was a complete disaster.  1 couple fought the entire drive and once we finally arrived at our destination, he spent hours trying to find a flight home.  They fought spradically on and off the rest of the vacation and then other things happended between the other 2 girls we were with and let's just say I was happy to be home.

When DH and I travel, we like to be able to do what we want to do, when we want to do it.  We also don't want to worry about money.  We don't go crazy but we aren't about pinching pennies either.  If we want to go somewhere nicer to eat, we go.   

Respected Contributor

I travel alone a lot since DH travels all the time for business. I sometimes go with him and wander around on my own but now I go to places that I want to go while he stays at home. Traveling solo Is more expensive but I just figure it in as part of the costs of the trip and budget accordingly. I'm going to New Orleans with a group Roads Scholar for a Jazz festival. They have special performances and meeting with musicians set up. I have been there multiple times before with DH, but the trip was always focused on food since that's what he does. This time it's for me. 

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

In the past I've had AAA help plan my trips but the last 2 I've done online. One was a week in London through Monograms (a sister company of Globus and Cosmos). They arranged the flights.  Then our last trip was to Reykjavik, Iceland. I found that offer on FB. Icelandic and Gate 1 offered it. Airfare and hotel were covered. Since we are 2 hours from an airport we've opted to go with park sleep and fly staying the night before at a nearby hotel and taking a shuttle to the airport.  So far I've not traveled alone as we have gone places we both wanted to see.

For the most part we've taken group tours overseas. I don't want to drive and my husband's idea of driving is to drive till you get there. London and Reykjavik were both independent stays with options for day tours.

On all the group tours we've taken there were several singles traveling with the group.

At times though I would like chances to shop on my own without a certain person peering over my shoulder asking if I was done yet. However I choose to travel while we still can.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy both...my husband doesn't enjoy a "beach" vacation but we both just went to Hawaii but there are many interesting things to do there...so it wasn't just beach.  I have often gone to the Carribean without him.   When we travel, we do meet many widows who did extensive travel with their spouses and they continue to do so after their husband's pass.  I would not be hesitant to travel alone to most destinations but I enjoy traveling with my husband and pick places we both would enjoy.  

Honored Contributor

A lot of husband bashing in that article...lol   I've been married for almost 35 years and one of the joys of my marriage is travelling with my husband.  We're different, we have different interests but wherever we go, each of us finds something fun and exciting.  He doesn't go to all of the museums and galleries and shops that I go to and I don't go to all pubs and take the walks and hikes and swims that he likes.  We often go our separate ways during the day but I love it when we find a great place to have dinner and fill each other in our day.  I've gone on long weekend trips with friends and my girls.  I've gone on business trips alone but I have never travelled for pleasure alone because, for me, that just would not be any fun.  I particularly would neve take an international trip alone.  I do have a single friend who always travelled alone and she loves it.  There are travel agencies that cater to solo travelers. 

Honored Contributor

There is no one I'd rather share my travel experiences with than my husband. While I've dragged him to places he'd not have chosen on his own, as long as I was enthusiastic, he was more than willing to share the experience with me.

I love traveling with my sister as there is nothing like a chick trip.  More often than not, our destinations were places I'd visited before and she wanted to see.  There was something so special about watching her experience the awe I'd once felt.

I have been a solo traveler a number of times.  In some cases I booked a tour (when the single supplement was waived) but I've also gone with no particular itinerary.

Then there was the time I traveled to Disney with our (then) 5 year old twin Grands.  That was an experience.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It never occurred to me to travel alone until I started traveling a lot for work.

However, when you are in business hotels and business restaurants, it's no big deal to eat by yourself, no one gives it a second thought.  

However, when you are in vacation spots, there are people who look at you funny or who are uncomfortable and don't know how to act when you say you are alone.  It doesn't bother me at all, but it is amusing to see how stunned people can be at the concept.

There are also people I am acquainted with who seem like they are trying to make me feel bad about traveling alone, like it's a bad thing.  That just makes me laugh.

I guess there is some sort of stigma to it for some people.

I will say that when I travel alone for work or for pleasure, many times men (mostly married) will ask to sit with me at meals.  I think they feel uncomfortable sitting alone and eating or just want to talk to someone because they're bored.  They are usually on an expense account so they pay for my meal.  What's not to love about that?  I've met some very interesting men when traveling and had great conversations with them.  I've only been hit on once and he even tracked my contact information down based on our conversations after I got home.  Learned a lesson from that, too!

For dinner, I will eat at the bar a lot.  It's a way to chat with others, the bartenders are always friendly and chatty and the people on either side usually are, too (or they are just having a drink waiting for someone, so the people in those seats changes frequently.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN