Trusted Contributor

Re: Disney World with Service Dog

I agree that it was nobody’s business as to why you have a service dog.  I’m sorry for your accident and I hope that you and Kai have a lovely time in Disney!

Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

@Kachina624  Asking that question is rather forward and brash; however, Kai serves two and actually more purposes - I have PTSD and a fear of crowds so he knows the signals when I begin to panic and have an attack and carries my meds (he knows before me)  and I have a seizure disorder and he wears a collar with a button he can get to and use for assistance.  Why do you want to know?  These issues came from a severe fall at Disney with severe head trauma.  I am proud of him, he was over 2 years in complete training.  Wow

@Fiero Woman.  It's unusual for a dog that small to be a certified service dog.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624I had a choice of 10 or so very young dogs and Kai was the one who related to me the most.  The trainer said it was unnatural l the way he responded to me.  There were 2 labs, boxer, golden, huskey, beagle, cavelier king charles spaniel  a whole list of prospectivel  service dogs and little man was the trainers choice.  Personally, I would have loved a Boxer but that wasn't to be and I love what God meant for me..  That is enough said about Kai.  It is what it is. No, it is not unusual for a smaller dog to be a service dog.  He is brilliant and knows his stuff.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  Again, it was rude to ask what service he provides.  My disability is my business.  I was asking for advice for a theme park visit with a service dog, as to advice at Epcot.  In order to ask for what service he provides, you were asking for my disability.  WOW

Valued Contributor

@ You don't know a thing about Service Dogs if you question his size.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  If you aren't giving advice, just being ill, why are you on this thread.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have a service dog.  My suggestion would be to contact Disney.  I'm sure they can answer any question that you may have.

Honored Contributor

@Fiero Woman wrote:

@Kachina624  Again, it was rude to ask what service he provides.  My disability is my business.  I was asking for advice for a theme park visit with a service dog, as to advice at Epcot.  In order to ask for what service he provides, you were asking for my disability.  WOW

@Fiero Woman. It was not necessary for you to go into details about your condition.  Generalities would have sufficed or you could have ignored the question.  I didn't ask what your disability is.  We picture service dogs doing things like turning on light switches, opening doors, retrieving artices on counters....things a mini obviously couldn't do.  It's interesting to know what he can do.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  I sound gruff but when you ask what what service he performs, it is personal.  He is a seizure alert dog and that alone is enough; however, he has three different functions, all medical.  Just because of his stature doesn't mean he isn't good at his job.  He likes to be of service, he strives to be the best he can be.  I don't need a  light switch turned on, pick up a phone - but he can if I ask, don't need anything off my counter.  I am a very small person and he suits me well.  Handling a large dog would be a challenge for me.  As the product of the fall, I have a total artifical shoulder to my elbow.  We work as a team. He has been trained by the best of the best and is a champion.   He doesn't bark, has perfect manners where ever he goes.  He wears his service vest with his special button with pride.  He is all business.  When a friend that works at Patrick AFB found about my issues, my husband died from Agent Orange, the K-9 unit invited Kai to work with them for a month.  He loved it and excelled.   I know the idea of a small dog as a service dog is not the norm; however, sometimes it just works.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Speaking of small dogs as service dogs, Papillons serve in that capacity.  I know personally of one (and his successor) who aided a woman in a wheelchair to take clothes from the dryer, turn on lights (I've forgotten the exact method), pick up keys, and much more.  

@Kachina624  @Fiero Woman

@Fiero Woman  Best wishes for a happy trip.

ETA:  Here is that actual woman.  Her name is Debi Davis.  The dog is Peek.

Image result for papillon debi davis

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.