Honored Contributor

🍜 Dining Etiquette From Around the World 🍜

If you have traveled to these places, do you find the advice to be true?  What other dining advice can you add from your travels?

infographic-world-dining-etiquette

Honored Contributor

Re: 🍜 Dining Etiquette From Around the World 🍜

Tipping is always a sticky thing w/me in a forign country restaurant/eatery.  I always ask the townfolks first if its customary.

As for "eating etiquette," well you know the saying...."when in Rome...."

Now my mother likes spicy everything.  She carries a small bottle of hot sauce in her purse when traveling internationally. Smiley Tongue

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many times I have found that if you are from America, the waiters in all countries expect a tip from you, but not the locals.

It doesn't take long to adapt American ways when money is involved mostly in touristy areas.

Americans are easy easy to spot in European countries because we keep our fork in our right hand when eating when using a knife to cut food.  We keep switching hands and putting down the knife.

Europeans will keep the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right for the whole meal....a much easier way to eat 

Frequent Contributor

If you travel to the Philippines or have a Phillipino to your home the way they show the food is good is they do not use utensils they eat everything with their hands and fingers.They also eat loudly by slurping and smacking and licking their fingers it is pretty unpleasant.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sherylsiu wrote:

If you travel to the Philippines or have a Phillipino to your home the way they show the food is good is they do not use utensils they eat everything with their hands and fingers.They also eat loudly by slurping and smacking and licking their fingers it is pretty unpleasant.

One of my best younger friends is from the Philippines and she has perfect table manners.  I have never seen or heard her do this.

I have been to her home where there were many other of her Filipino friends there for parties and have never observed this.  I have been on a cruise ship and was assigned to a dining table with a  Filipino family and they didn't eat like this either.

I wonder if it's a regional thing rather than a cultural thing.

Ok, I e-mailed my friend and asked it about eating with the hands.  She said it used to be done and in some areas or on some holidays, some people still do this.  they also use banana leaves and no plates.

She said her family, though poor, has always used utensils and plates/bowls for eating and all of her friends and their family do too.  She thought my question was funny and wanted to know why I asked.

Trusted Contributor

Dear lolakimono,

In my experience Japan is one of the most lenient countries regarding table manners and foreigners. You can get away with the unthinkable in Europe. For instance you can bring your own baguette to a restaurant if you love bread and they only have rice.

I have never had any trouble in Italy asking for more cheese, however they get really angry if you do not tip unless the service is already included. 

In France table manners are like a tattoo in your neuron. Most people play by the rules because we are taught since we were super young so it really becomes an habit. Gum is a no no in most European countries unless you are on a plane🌻