Respected Contributor

We will be in Denver in July. Going to Rapid City (Mt Rushmore) will be add 3 days to our travel. 

Taking an 8 hr tour bus seems like the way to go. 

We looked at heading back east to get back to Texas but it looks like it would be best to just back track I25 to the southern route.

Your thoughts? Did you enjoy enough to recommend a SD detour?

Honored Contributor

Re: Denver to Rapid City SD?

We've been to Mt. Rushmore twice and yes, in our opinion, it is worth the trip.  Plus there are other things to do in the area.  Definitely recommend.

Respected Contributor

We flew into Rapid City to start a week long bus tour about three years ago. Our first stop was Mt. Rushmore.  We live in the Midwest so the mountains are gorgeous to see but I was kind of surprised by Mt. Rushmore.  I was glad that I got to see it myself but we walked up and looked at it and that was about it.  I’m not sure what I was expecting but I wouldn’t go back again. 

Esteemed Contributor

We went to Mount Rushmore several years back and are so happy we did.  It is amazing!

Valued Contributor

We loved Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse. I would highly recommend it.

Custer State Park is great too.

We spent about a week in SD because there was so much to see and do.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mt. Rushmore, Custer St. Park, Wind Cave, Crazy Horse and so much more! Check with SD Tourism for additional information. It's a gorgeous part of the state and the US. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Valued Contributor

We've traveled up to Mt. Rushmore several times since living in CO. It takes about 7hrs from south of Denver along I-25 north through to Wyoming then SD.  Easy drive, mostly vast ranch land.  Custer State Park is good, we drive through looking for wildlife.

When we go to San Antonio to visit family, go down I25 to Raton NM, turn left to go to the panhandle and down.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I'm so glad I spotted this thread.  We are flying to Denver from Oregon then driving to Mt  Rushmore.  Will spend some time in the area and then drive back home. I've always wanted to see those areas.

Trusted Contributor

We live in South Dakota and love our state for many reasons, most of all the beauty. Welcome to any visitors! 

Respected Contributor

@3blackdogs wrote:

I'm so glad I spotted this thread.  We are flying to Denver from Oregon then driving to Mt  Rushmore.  Will spend some time in the area and then drive back home. I've always wanted to see those areas.

We are familiar with Colorado and have had many visits.

We will be staying at the Omni Interlocken that is between Denver and Boulder. These distances are approx: To Estes Park (The Shinning Stanley Hotel)= 1 hr, Breckenridge=90 minutes, Vail=2 hrs, Mt Rushmore=6-7 hours through Cheyenne. 

If you have not visited Downtown Denver and you like exploring check out larimer Square, Union Station, 6th Street mall, Denver Art all are within a walking trip. And  Rockies baseball is right there too. 

So much to see and do. those are the things on our list. We had considered leaving Cheyenne and traveling to Salt Lake City(Park City) but that is a looong drive!

Denver has seen 100 degrees in the last few days.