Respected Contributor

Dealing with Heat and Humidity When Traveling

[ Edited ]

My travel roommate travels a lot, every three

months or so. She has been all  over the  world. We expect to  experience temperatures in the 100`s and humidity, leaving  in a couple of weeks in the Central part of France. She suggested all natural fabrics like all cotton or a blend of cotton and linen. I took out all synthetic underwear which I orginally chose as lightweight and taking up less space.

Do any of you have any tips or ideas for dealing with b traveling in this kind of weather? I live in the upper midwest, near Lake Superior and rarely ever deal with this kind of heat and humidity. Many summers lucky to get some weeks in the 80s.

Thank you.

Respected Contributor

Re: Dealing with Heat and Humidity When Traveling

@Gorgf  I would suggest minimal make-up, and hair up in a ponytail or off your neck and face.  I have thick hair and the heat and humidity are brutal if I have all the heavy hair on my neck.

Also, you can purchase one of those fold up paper fans to use when you need a quick burst of air.  

a2f61b94-dd66-491e-80e7-0d6a54f26332_1.74d9ac551fa4eb3f1699e41dce132463.jpeg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

When I was in Egypt it was a spectator sport to watch the top rear of the shin right under the knee get sunburned.  Sunscreen is your friend with shorts.

Respected Contributor

There is very little ac in Europe. When we have traveled to France in the summer, I wor a lot of cotton fabrics...dresses, linen capris..etc. sunscreen is essential and a sun hat will heLP. 

My brother and his wife are going on a bike tour through France  July and their non biking wardrobe will be cotton and linen.

Honored Contributor

I suggest loose-fitting cotton dresses -  not maxi length and not requiring shapers.  You don't say what kind of sites you're touring, but there are still places you might want to see where shorts and tanks are not appreciated.  Besides, a little dress often feels cooler.

And assume you'll want a light sweater for evenings and almost any place wih A/C.

Honored Contributor

I love heat!  However, as a migraine sufferer, humidity is my enemy.  I do not travel to hot & humid countries w/o my trusty LLBean wide brim safari hat that is especially made for that type of weather.....

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at Wed, Jun 26, 2019-12.50.41 PM.png

The flap covers your neck.  You tuck inside the flap pocket when not needed.

The wide brim protects the rest of your body from the neck on down.

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at Wed, Jun 26, 2019-12.51.11 PM.png

The whole interior brim is UPF 50+ rated – the highest rated sun protection possible.  You can see the flap pocket sort up in the above pic.

Here at home, I never leave home w/o it during summer months.

I've had this hat for approximately 7 yrs now.  To date, I have never suffered a migraine attack from being out & about for long periods of time in temps 95°+.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac I am going on an African safari next January.  That hat looks perfect for that -- thank you for posting about it.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips 

You're Welcome.gif

I forgot to add that the hat is also waterproof so doubles as a "rain" hat.  I never carry an umbrella anyways, so it works out great for me.

Enjoy your African safari.  Remember, don't feed the lions. Smiley Very Happy

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

If you are going to France, beware. They can just as easily have very cold and rainy weather also. And all within a few days, so make sure that you have layers that you can pile on or peel off.

I spend a lot of time in France and I was shocked to see today the temperatures are in the upper 90s, when just a few days ago they were in the low 70s and at night time in the 50s.  Layers. 

Respected Contributor

@Mz iMac  Thank you so much for your picture and post. I ordered one today. They are a few dollars less and LLBean has 20% off , code JULY4 today through the 4th.

Great idea and like the idea tuck in the flap if not needed. Comes in three colors also.