Honored Contributor

Re: Day Trips -Chambersburg, PA Gettysburg, PA

@Scooby Doo wrote:

Is the Eisenhower farm still a tourist destination in Gettysburg?  That was interesting.

Yes. It's managed by the National Park Service.

https://www.nps.gov/eise/index.htm

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

Thanks all!  We are going this week.  Chambersburg is only about 3 hours from us.  Some people would think we are crazy to drive there just for peaches.  But they are so good and we are retired...so why not a road trip.

Since Gettysburg is so close and neither of us have been there we decided, Why Not.  He just now booked the hotel.  We've been getting a lot of info from Trip Advisor.  We are still deciding whether to arrange a guided tour or buy a CD at the center and wing it ourselves.

@Annabellethecat66 and others.   Washington DC  area is one of my favorite places.  DH's nephew lived in Alexandria for four years (3 miles from Mt. Vernon).  We stayed several times and I yearn to return.    It would take me months to scratch the surface of all the places I long to explore.

I don't know if DH is up to Washington anymore.  His knees and lower back are a real bother to him. He has to stop and rest frequently when walking.

@Allegheny  DC has lots of different bus tours.  Duck Tours is most people's favorites and there are on/off bus tours as well.

It's worth is as it is a lot less walking.  Plus, if you're seen most of it, you can just concentrate on the new stuff you may not have seen.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  I second this.  I live near enough to go to Gettysburg and Chambersburg.  We dance sometimes in that area (square dancing of course).  But Washington, DC.  Nothing compares to spending a day or weekend there.  Of course I am a bit prejudiced since I am a DC native, as is  my hubby.  It is one beautiful and interesting city.  

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 @PA Mom-mom @VaBelle35 @bonnielu @Eileen in VA

Thank you all for contributing to my post and I figured I would give an update.

We left home Wednesday morning and traveled Lincoln Highway (Rt 30) which isn't the fastest way, but the most scenic and historic.  It was an enjoyable ride up and down the mountains, seeing acres of forest and farmland.  We would travel for miles with no vehicles in sight.

We headed straight to Gettysburg, figuring it would best to buy peaches on our return trip.  As @Eileen in VA suggested we settled in at our hotel then went to the museum/visitor center and purchased tickets for the following day for the film, cyclorama, museum and purchased the field guide and CD for the auto tour.  We did not plan to see the Eisenhower National Historic Site, may-be next time.

Thursday we started our day by going to the museum.  The film and cyclorama were moving, almost to tears.  If one is a history buff you could spend hours in the museum alone.

We were worried about the weather, but it was sunny, in fact almost too hot.  I really admired all the people out on horses, bikes because it was 89 degrees.  The self guided audio tour was our best option.  We were able to stop at leisure at different sites which were of interest to us. The bus tour was attractive, but would have been difficult for DH in having to get on and off the bus frequently. We did get turned around a couple of times, but the layout was excellent.  It took us about  2 1/2 hours to complete the tour.   I picked up a fallen acorn and am going to try and get it to sprout as a remembrance. We very much enjoyed it and are considering going again later in the fall. 

Friday morning we headed home.  We stopped at Mr. Eds Elephant Museum and Candy Emporium.  There was no way my husband was going to by pass this place.  I have never such a variety of candy.  I was even able to get vanilla BB bats which was a favorite of mine at age 16.

@PA Mom-mom  Per your suggestion we stopped at Maplewood Farm.  What an enchanting place.  We purchased our peaches there, along with some tomatoes and cukes.  They have beautiful flowers/plants still this late in season.  I walked out with three.  Told my husband we need to come here in the spring for the plants alone as the prices and variety were exceptional.

We thoroughly enjoyed our trip.

Esteemed Contributor

@Allegheny I just saw your update! It's someone asks for fun places to visit and then actually follow through! It sounds like you had a great time all-around. Glad you liked Maplewood!

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

I live in Northern Va (right outside of Washington, DC).  If you want to see endless amazing things, come to the the DC area!

I know I sound like a travel agent.  I've just lived in Va all of my life.  Over the years I've seen wonderful things about our country's history, etc.

If you like being out in the country, go to George Washington's home in Alexandria (Mt Vernon).  If you've never been to Monticello, go there, it's beautiful.

But once you get into DC you could spend weeks (even a month) and STILL not see everything.  This is a busy time of year (Summer).  However, soon the children will be back in school.  There won't be many school trips in the beginning (school is just getting started).  Early Fall is the perfect time to visit the Washington, DC/Va area.

Here's a hint.  Stay right outside of DC.  If you get up and out early enough you can ride the Metro into DC (you have to beat the commuters).  There are many nice and inexpensive places to stay in Va, just a few miles from the DC line.

If you like walking around.  Walk around "Old Town" Alexandria.  There are many things to see and wonderful places to eat in Old Town Alexandria.  I know, I was born there.  Go through the old, old churches, witness History.

I forgot to add that if you like battlefields.  In Prince William County there is the Manassas Battlefield.  It's beautiful with historical markers everywhere.  There is a museum located nearby that is wonderful.  I think you might enjoy seeing something different.

Go here to find out about historic Prince William County, Va. http://www.manassascity.org/211/Manassas-Museum-System

@Annabellethecat66:  Great tips.  I love this area and wish to go back.  When we visited the battlegrouds, we hired a "tour guide" who rode in our car for a couple of hours.  Best thing we could have done.  DS was in HS and so he participated in this history tour.  One of our best vacations.  We also had "fine dining" in one of the Officers building, ate on the second floor over looking the area.  

Honored Contributor

@Hoovermom Thanks for your kind words.  A lot of people know and studied the Civil War but don't know about the importance Manassas played in it.

I love where I live.  I have to admit though we "country folks" are getting tired of the "city folks" moving out here and complaining about our 2 way winding roads and trying to change them.

I was born in Alexandria, Va as was my mother, father, and both grandmothers.  Our family history goes way back.  My dad taught me to value the place where your 'roots' are and know it's history.

When I went to Northern Va Community College (loved taking classes there, just being around 'youngsters') I wrote to the college newspaper.

I did several articles about the Manassas Battlefield and the 'ghosts' that people swear visit there.  Whether you believe it or not, the articles I found while researching are compelling and interesting.

Take care and I'm glad you found us 'country folks' hospitable!  Be safe!  Annabelle/Linda

weird note;  I did spell check and it tells me Manassas is mispelled!  Hummm???