Valued Contributor

Anyone in the DisneyWorld State of Mind?  

Went in middle February with DH and was amazed how HOT/80s it was.  <UGH>

The packed in crowds of people was almost clausterphobic.   DID I SAY IT WAS HOT?  

This was a business trip/anniversary trip.  We got badges *Together Forever 40years*  for no charge and wore then up high on shirts.  Those badges got us on FAST PASS rides and very nice tables at nice restaurants and congratulation comments from folks.

I strongly suggest the  book  *The Unofficial Guide WDW 2019*  by Sehlinger&Testa. The book has tear out tour guides for the parks in the back.  The book is where I learned about the  Free! Badges.  

Last trip to DW was about 20years ago. Now you have to PLAN PLAN PLAN way ahead. 

Another suggestion... plan to have the reservation/supper in the same park you are visiting near supper time.   Hopping here and there is a big time waster.  

I mean do not try to get to EPCOT for supper in CHINA if you are in Animal Kingdom. 

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Respected Contributor

@gacat123 

I LOVE going to Disney.  My first trip was when I was 69 when my daughter got married there.  It was a magical wedding and a magical trip for me.  Since then, my sweet daughter has taken me 3 times.  Once for my 70th birthday.  She asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I jokingly told her I wanted dinner at "Be Our Guest" restaurant.  Next thing I knew, we were on our way to Disney. Heart  She had made reservations for us and I have to say, it was everything I hoped it would be. 

We are leaving May 2nd for another trip.  Staying at Animal Kingdom Lodge and going to Animal Kingdom one day, and shopping at Disney Springs another day.  I am looking forward to it.  Even though I have to rent a scooter, I love going and I love the magic.  I'm like a little girl (at heart anyhow) when I go.  

Respected Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

The packed in crowds of people was almost clausterphobic.   DID I SAY IT WAS HOT?  

This was a business trip/anniversary trip.  We got badges *Together Forever 40years*  for no charge and wore then up high on shirts.  Those badges got us on FAST PASS rides and very nice tables at nice restaurants and congratulation comments from folks.

I strongly suggest the  book  *The Unofficial Guide WDW 2019*  by Sehlinger&Testa. The book has tear out tour guides for the parks in the back.  The book is where I learned about the  Free! Badges.  

Last trip to DW was about 20years ago. Now you have to PLAN PLAN PLAN way ahead. 

Another suggestion... plan to have the reservation/supper in the same park you are visiting near supper time.   Hopping here and there is a big time waster.  

I mean do not try to get to EPCOT for supper in CHINA if you are in Animal Kingdom. 

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

Lucky you.  The last time we went in Feb I had my ski jacket and scarf on.  It was really cold. I grew up going Disneyland and I didn’t like Disney World. I hated getting on the bus to go everywhere.   It was overwhelming. 

Honored Contributor

I haven't been in a long time.  My co-worker went with her husband and 14 year old in March.  They had a pass for the lines.  Her husband said never again.  It was 90 and humid everyday, but one.  I wouldn't have liked the temp either, but that humidity is horrible.  It was too hot too soon.

Honored Contributor

Always! We don't go THAT often, but we do like it. We've been in late June, late October (for the food and wine festival), and late December. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Oh yea!! We go just about every year...

We are going this June......and it will be HOT. We normally go in late Oct/Nov but my son in law is at a Conference there and my daughter asked us to join her and my Granddaughter. I convinced my hubby to go.

I love the Wine and Food fest.

I agree with the OP.....when my daughter was little (30yrs ago), you could just buy tickets and 'wing it'........not so anymore. If you want to eat at a certain resturant at a certain time, you better make a reservation far in advance. If you want to ride the popular rides without waiting hours in line...you better make fast passes.

There aren't many "not crowded" days at the Parks anymore and you have to be prepared. If you can afford to, saty at one of the Disney resorts...espeially one on the Monorail run....will make your vacation less stressful.

PLAN....PLAN......PLAN and avoid going in August when the Star Wars attraction is opening...I am pretty sure it will be insane crowds from what I read on Disney BBs....

Honored Contributor

Honestly, IMO there is no good time to go to DisneyWorld😉

I bought the FL resident 3 day pass & after my visit (March) I had enough.  Sadly, it was not as in years past.  I used to just go over & enjoy the evening parade, strolling thru the park or Disney Springs.  And disgusting $25/day to park  & I just heard even if you stay at a Disney hotel parking fees range from $18-22/night.  just plain greed🤬🤬

The last few times, I have never encountered so many rude people, unruly kids (or shall I say parents😉)and those helpful "Disney" employees are not so helpful anymore.  The lady I went with had her knee lock & she tripped on the boat over to the park -- no one offered to help her up. I had to go find a "kid" Disney worker to help her & he was not that helpful either🤔

I don't walk fast anymore and believe me one better look out because no one pays attention where they're walking or who they bump into, and people with strollers or scooters -- that's a whole other story😡. 

I will say the weather is hot & humid multiply by thousands of people it's even hotter.  I've also been when its so cold (December-Jan) that needed scarfs & gloves.

I am dreading my October family trip to Universal and we are adults😯.  I told them I'm begging you go by yourselves & Ill meet you for dinner!

Sadly, as much as I have enjoyed Disney in years past I think I'll take my spouse attitude who went a couple of times with me a few years ago  -- "seen it, done that!".

Trusted Contributor

I would love to take my kids but its just too expensive to take a family of 6.  I also hate the idea of having to plan that much of my vacation down to where I'm eating which meal and what time.  No thanks I prefer a much more relaxing vacation.

Esteemed Contributor

I love Disney. I've been twice, the last trip to DW in 2017. The only mistake 

we made was buying the meals passes and snacks which gave way too

much food for one day to use.

Honestly after a big breakfast which I am not used to, usually just eat cereal,

then the snack passes, I honestly did not want a big dinner. But if you

don't buy  passes in advance, dinner for 4 will truly be astronomical in price.

If I remember, I think you could use all your snack passes for one day or save some for the next, just use all up before you leave, but yes next time, we will cut back and try to but a smaller food plan.

I think I put on close to 5 lbs, by the time we got back. Good memories with

the kids, their 1st trip.

Respected Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT

We are BIG Disney Fans, particularly Disneyworld.  We got married there in 2001.  After our reception, we went to Epcot (Italy) and had a the dessert party and fireworks.  When we entered Epcot, it was to the ending of one of the parades and we just followed at the end of the parade (me, husband and wedding guests) until we got to Italy and we received so many applause and congratulations.  Also had our wedding photos in front of the castle, inside the castle and Cinderella's carousel.  So cool!  We are also DVC Members so we try to go as often as possible.  But even as DVC Members, the cost of a Disneyworld vacation is outregous.  I miss the good old days when you can just wake up in the morning and plan what you wanted to do, which park to visit and can walk into just about any restaurant and eat.  Now, it's making you dining reservations 180 days in advance and  Fastpasses 60 days in advance.  And hoping you can get on more rides besides your FP without waiting 2 hours in line.