Respected Contributor

Atlanta is one of the world's busiest airports and one I've been thru many, many times. When you consider the time it takes to push back, get out of the alley to the taxi way, taxi to the runway and await your turn for take off, 30 minutes from push back to take off isn't unreasonable. Add in the common summer thunderstorms and it can get much, much longer. Flight schedules are calculated with those factors in mind. For example, most flights from ATL-SRQ are blocked out at around 90 minutes, but it's only 45 minutes in the air. I've experienced long taxi and wait times at just about every major airport in the country. The flight from DTW to my home airport is only 20 minutes in the air but we often spend at least 25-30 minutes getting from the gate to the runway. It's just part of air travel, and it's controlled by ATC, NOT the airlines. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I love Southwest also

@sunshine45 wrote:

interesting.....

my airline of choice within the US is southwest.....rarely have problems with this airline.

my SECOND choice though is DELTA.....have not had too many problems with them either. it might have to do with where you are flying out of and into.

i would definitely take money/travel voucher to take a later flight.

Valued Contributor

my Dad is a retired pilot, 

he and other pilots have a saying   

* If You Have Time To Spare, Fly  By Air * 

DH finally landed in our local airport only 2hours late.  10:30PM instead of 8:30PM.  

LONG DAY/NIGHT!  

CAT

Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45,

Delta works fine for Europe from JFK besides it has an Aliance with many European and Asian airlines. So far never have had any problems with them🌻

Esteemed Contributor

@gacat123 wrote:

my Dad is a retired pilot, 

he and other pilots have a saying   

* If You Have Time To Spare, Fly  By Air * 

DH finally landed in our local airport only 2hours late.  10:30PM instead of 8:30PM.  

LONG DAY/NIGHT!  

CAT

@gacat123- I travel Alitalia a lot "Always Late In Take-off, Always Late In Arrival.  However Delta is my choice when I'm not going to Italy and my experience is always good.  I fly out of JFK but occasionally have a connecting flight in Atlanta.  The airport people there are so polite and nice.