Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

There are other ways of travelling to Cuba. whistling.gif

@Mz iMac, if you already have a cruise booked with a stop in Cuba, that's not going to be helpful though.  The ships are now going to other ports or doing overnights at ports already on that itinerary. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I know a few people who had cruises with a stop in Cuba.  Several received notification that they will now have an overnight stay in the Bahamas.   

That’s got to be a huge disappointment! I’m at the point where I don’t always even want to get off at the Bahamas - and I don’t even cruise that much! And, considering the ships on the Cuba itinerary are usually the smallest and oldest, many people will be bored staying on board.

I don’t know what cruise line they’re on, but I did see that Royal was giving 50% off of the current cruise in the form of onboard credit, with any remaining balance to be refunded after the cruise.

This may not have necessarily been a surprise, but a little more notice would have been nice.  I understand there’s a grandfather clause if you already have plans to visit, but may not matter for these cruise ships.

Trusted Contributor

I wonder if there is a way around this meaning cruise ships I who have only European ports could continue to stop in cuba? So a transatlantic cruise that ends in an Caribbean island.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Happiness Is Inside JOB  There has always been cruises going to Cuba - smaller ships from other islands or maybe Mexico, etc.  There’s probability a demand from other countries who don’t have a ban.  I’m guessing that US citizens wouldn’t be allowed to take those boats.  US citizens have illegally traveled to Cuba via other countries, with immigration turning the other cheek and not stamping their passports.  I went to Cuba legally; I will not go anywhere illegally.

I did read a post on Cruise Critic - this cruiser was in Havana in February and April of this year.  They said there was a distinct change between those few months.  February was fine.  In April, the government kicked the independent tour providers out of the main squares; he said it was a much more stressful situation as the government wanted the tourism dollars to themselves. This posters comments gave a little perspective to the new ban.

Trusted Contributor

Alter - wow, very interesting information.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

I'm on a FB group for cruisers and have saw that RCL was offering 50% off you're booked cruise if it had a stop in Cuba.

I saw someone post that she is now going to Mexico instead and she is hugely disappointed as her cruise was supposed to be eastern Caribbean and they've done Mexico already.  Someone else said they are going to Grand Turk in place of Cuba but they are very happy.

I happened to be on the Norwegian website today and they still have cruises with stops in Cuba as an option.  I'm not sure if a blurb will pop up when you actually book or why that hasn't been updated.  

Respected Contributor

I like the travel ban to Cuba.  The cruise lines are only lining the Government's pockets with our money.

Trusted Contributor

@Hoovermom wrote:

I like the travel ban to Cuba.  The cruise lines are only lining the Government's pockets with our money.

That's right.  Every place they dock, they pay to dock there.

Trusted Contributor

@Patagonia12 wrote:
  • I cruised to Cuba on the Pearl Mist in late March... great trip...went to five different cities and learned a lot.  People were wonderful.  Great music too.

That is the cruise I just decided to take. I decided on it just a few weeks ago and would have booked it but was waiting to figure out when I would go and with whom. I have wanted to go to Cuba for a very long time and now have to wait until it opens up again. Glad you got a chance to go and had such a nice trip. 

Esteemed Contributor

We were looking forward to cruising to Cuba next year after just getting the flyer from our group to start sending in the deposits and pick your room....oh well!

Some people I know that were booked this year have already received the updated itinerary and or given a hard date to cancel.