Honored Contributor

@alarmclock wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

I like the travel ban to Cuba.  The cruise lines are only lining the Government's pockets with our money.

That's right.  Every place they dock, they pay to dock there.

That's true pretty much for every dock around the world.  Is that what you meant, @alarmclock ?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@alarmclock wrote:

@Hoovermom wrote:

I like the travel ban to Cuba.  The cruise lines are only lining the Government's pockets with our money.

That's right.  Every place they dock, they pay to dock there.

That's true pretty much for every dock around the world.  Is that what you meant, @alarmclock ?

And some people do not understand that fact.

They think it's just up to the cruise line to pull up to a random dock and let them off.  They do not understand that part of their cruise fare goes to the government of the country the boat visits.

If you want to personally protest something in a particular country by staying on the boat that day, you aren't.  Your money is still going to that government.

You would be surprised at how naive some people are.

Frequent Contributor

@debcakes 

When it opens up again I would highly recommend the Pearl Mist. They did a great job dealing with some complicated logistics and explaining the history and delicate relationship between the two countries.   We were lucky enough to have two passengers who were born in Cuba and immigrated to US children on board with us.  They were gratious enough to share their story with the rest of us.

From what I saw it’s just a matter of time for Cuba to open up. They already are allowing the internet and for people to have private businesses. We ate in several 

non state run ( privately owned) restaurants.  And the Cuban govt is allowing people to rent rooms to tourists.  I think Cuba realizes that it needs to change but probably won’t make any further changes until Raul is gone.

One thing you may want to know is that Americans are not allowed to go to any beaches  in Cuba., which is where all the Europeans and Canadians flock to.  Not Cuba’s rule but USA rule.  I guess it’s a moot point now.

Trusted Contributor

@Patagonia12 

The Pearl Mist was the trip I had decided upon. I like that it goes to so many parts of Cuba.  Glad to hear you had such a good trip.  Weird about the beaches. I hope there is a pool on the ship..