Respected Contributor

Re: Cruising the Mississippi

No, But I've seen it going on the river.  I hope she has a great trip.

Respected Contributor

2005 05 27_3910.JPGThere is lots of traffic on the river,  Taken north of Greenville.

Respected Contributor

@software. I live in the South too and I agree with you 100%.  I can't imagine paying that much for those stops.  

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler  Thank you for posting your detailed description of your sister's river cruise. I love reading about other people's adventures!

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic You are welcome! I love reading posts about where people have gone and the experiences they have had. Never fail to learn about new places to put on my bucket list. And even if it is not a place I would like to go to, I find it interesting to read their comments about what they liked or didn't care for. I learn a lot from our Travel Forum posters. Smiley Happy

My sister is back home, but she has not responded to emails about her final thoughts on the river cruise. If she responds with some additional thoughts that may help others decide whether or not they too would like to take a cruise down the Mississippi, I will share them. I definitely want to take the cruise based upon her comments, but am still wanting to wait to do that until a time when I no longer want to handle the long flights going to other countries. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay, finally heard back from sister, who got home from the River cruise. When I asked her review of the entire trip, this is what she said. Hope her final comments are helpful. 

I enjoyed the trip and glad I booked it. I wouldn't go to the same place again, but found it very interesting. The cost was high, but that was partly my choice by getting a single room with a veranda.  If I would take another Paddle/steam boat trip I would ask for the same room. It was in the middle of the boat, close to everything.  The boat was really nice, 5 floors, rooms were good size, larger than on a big cruise ship.   

Spent the first day in Memphis, our hotel was in a perfect location.  Memphis was having a music festival, which was close to the hotel.  Walked town to it and then walked down main street, which had a small "Bourbon" Street feeling, possibly because of the music festival.  Streets were blocked off from cars and everyone were walking around, singing, doing different "acts" in the street, etc.  We had fabulous ribs there twice, lunch and dinner, again very interesting.  Toured Elvis Presley's Graceland, that tour was extra.

I would probably say I enjoyed New Orleans the most. The World War ll museum was wonderful, could spend a day there.  We stayed at a good location and was walking distance to the World War ll museum, Bourbon Street, French Quarter, Jackson Square, etc.

I love Jazz and we went to a neat little place called Presentation Hall.  They didn't have a bathroom, nor serve drinks, it was just good old fashion jazz session with 7-8 older men who played from their hearts. I ended up sitting on a pillow in the front row, could have touched them I was so close.  Waited in line for about an hour to hear 45 minutes of jazz. Found out later you can go on line and buy tickets, about 3 times as much, but are guaranteed a chair to sit on.

Would I recommend the trip?  I'll say, I'm glad I went and am not sorry I paid premium for the trip. I wouldn't recommend it to my girls at their age yet. It was definitely an older demographic on the trip. Like 70 to 90 years of age. Every one was really nice, but on the bus tours it took FOREVER to get off the bus. They set the front 3 rows aside for the guide and people with difficulties getting on and off the bus.  You know me with waiting for everyone to get off (yes, I realize that is my age, but I do move faster!).

The food on the boat was fantastic!!!   Scallops, Lobster, Duck, Lamb, all you could eat!!  Ordered two Scallop dinners one night and several at our table ordered two Lobster dinners another night. Always two desserts, I gained 5 pounds. The entertainment on the boat so-so, nothing great to write home about, but we went every night.

I wasn't real impressed with the "Premium" tours at the different ports. I took a Civil War tour in Vicksburg, which was basically riding on a bus seeing too many statues and grave markers.    

In Natchez I took the cotton plantation, which was better, but wouldn't do it again. The only other Premium tour I went on was a "life in the Bayou Cajun Swamp" in Nottoway, which I really enjoyed.........but then that's me, I love the water. 

We actually only docked at one port, the rest we tied up to mostly trees, but wasn't a problem. There were daily  free "hop off/hop on" tours that I thought were better than the premium ones.  Most days you could do both, hop off/hop on in the morning the then Premium in the afternoon. 

The ports are very small towns so we would go around the entire tour first and listen to their description of the area and then get off where we thought it was interesting and would walk to the different stops. Most stops weren't that far from each other. The bus ran every 15 minutes, so was a great way to just spend time where we wanted.

The weather was perfect, middle 70's and not humid. The only place that was warmer, 83 degrees, was the last day in New Orleans, but still not humid.  We did a "voodoo" tour in New Orleans. It is definitely an interesting town.

Would definitely recommend the post trip to New Orleans. Most everything was included, breakfasts, $49.00 for a dinner with 4 different restaurant choices, World War ll museum, actually admission to seven different attractions, trolley passes, transfers and tips all included. Couldn't do everything in two days.

Hopefully that gives you a little idea of the trip. I took lots of pictures so plan to make a book.  Took pictures with my camera the first two days and then used my phone. We'll see how they turn out for the book.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks so much for posting your sister's trip. My uncle (who passed away last year at 101 years) loved the riverboats. None more than the Delta Queen, but I'm sure he traveled on this one once or twice.
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the informative thread @World Traveler

Although this is something I would not like to do, it's great to find that out as well (all information is good information so we can make informed decisions).  😀

I am glad your sister enjoyed her trip!  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt