Trusted Contributor

Cruising New England and Canada

Has anyone been on this cruise in the fall (leaf season?). Neither my husband or I have ever been on a cruise, so we thought we would give it a try without going too far from home.  I would appreciate any experiences of advice .

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cruising New England and Canada

We went on this cruise about 5 years ago on Celebrity.  Really enjoyed it, especially Nova Scotia, Bar Harbor and Boston.  It's hard to hit exactly the peak of the changing colors, and I think we were off by maybe a week.  We've cruised a lot but this was very enjoyable and relaxing.  We made several new friends with whom we keep in touch.

Honored Contributor

We've been on many cruises and are actually doing a cruise in May on Holland America that goes from Montreal to Boston and then to Bermuda and back to Boston.  We've been to all of the places the cruise goes to, e.g. Quebec City and Bar Harbor, but not for many years so we're looking forward to revisiting those areas.  I would think if you go in early to mid October you would see the fall foliage if not at its peak close enough.  Like another poster said it's hard to determine the "peak."  Mother Nature has a mind of her own. 

Bon voyage!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mac116, the New England and Canada is a great cruise,  We did it in September of 2016 and really enjoyed it.  While we did not stop in Boston, which was no problem for me, our first stop was Portland, Maine, and it is a really nice town with very friendly people.  Other ports were Halifax, St. John, and Bar Harbor.   We sailed out of Baltimore and really liked our experience with no parking fees and a well-organized process for boarding the ship.

While we did not take all of the excursions, we really did not like the train excursion in St. John to the Reversing Rapids.  There is a walking path that we should have taken.

In Halifax, we took a tour called the Best of Halifax and toured the Citadel and the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. Before heading to Peggy's Cove, we went to the NovaScotian Crystal, where you can actually see them blowing the glass. I got a leprechaun jar, which I call a preserves jar, and when paying cash, we saved over $10. Then, we had lunch at Murphy's on the Pier, and lunch was a delicious lobster wrap, salad, apple pear cobbler with whipped cream, and unsweetened iced tea. This lunch was part of the tour. 

After lunch, we headed to Peggy's Cove, a place that I have always wanted to go. It is a beautiful little fishing village and I enjoyed every minute of it. I purchased a painting from Neil Depew to hang in my family room and had an opportunity to speak with him.  I think everyone I know who has been to Peggy's Cove has gotten one of Neil's paintings.

As we were leaving Peggy's Cove, our tour guide Ellen and our driver Lee told us about a local author, Ivan Fraser, who tried to come out and wave to all the tour buses. She told us to look for his house, which has a mural of Peggy's Cove all over the front of the house. Sure enough, as we slowed down and approached his home, he came out and waved to us!

In Bar Harbor, we took a tour to Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain. We had to take a tender to the pier, and the day started out beautifully but turned to wind and rain as we headed into Acadia. What we did see of it was beautiful. We then went to Wildwood Stables and took a carriage ride on the carriage trials. This is part of the Rockefeller estate and no cars are permitted on the trails. They also frown on bicycles. I was a little concerned because I am not a fan of carriage rides, but the horses were very well cared for. Our guide was a college student who actually lived on the premises. All guides lived on the premises and two cooks also live there. In the winter, the horses go to a horse "spa" to rest up. We also got to hear stories about the Rockefeller family and how the large estates are called cottages if they do not have ballrooms, even the 44 room homes that we call mansions.

As you can tell, I enjoyed the cruise immensely.  This was our second cruise and I was not thrilled with our first one to Bermuda.  The only thing that really annoyed me on this cruise, because of the weather, is that people congregated in the buffet area while waiting for their cabins to be clear.  They took up seats when diners were looking for seating.  They could easily have moved into some of the lounge areas.  I actually said that to some people so that we could have a place to sit and eat and people did move.  Since they were a lot older than me, then should have known better.

Other than that, it is a really wonderful cruise and the scenery is spectacular in September.  If you go, make sure to take a picture of the Portland light house.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sxm

Great review, 

To the original poster

I also went on the New England cruise but we went late September or early October and it was kind of cool.

It was nice and please consider doing excursions so you see all the sights.  Not my favorite cruise but a nice break from work!

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl What a wonderful and thorough review! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for the original poster. 

I personally have in the back of my mind doing a New England area cruise one of these days, and am more sure now since reading your review that it would be wonderful to do.

Thanks again! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler, I was not a fan of cruising before this one.  Our first cruise was to Bermuda and it was on a very small ship that sailed out of Philly.  There was absolutely nothing to do unless you were a drinker or a gambler.  The only reason that we did the New England/Canada cruise was that it went to Nova Scotia, and I am so glad that we went.  

BTW, I love your postings about your travels.  I live vicariously through you.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

I have not taken the New England cruise, but I have been at Bar Harbor several times when the cruise ships stopped there.

i spoke to many passengers about their cruise and everyone advised me that they were having a wonderful time. Some people take the fall cruise every year.

I’d love to relax on this type of cruise.

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl, great review.  I am from Nova Scotia and live in one of the communities on the road to Peggy’s Cove.  

@mac116, if you do a fall cruise, be prepared to dress in layers.  Our Falls are becoming warmer and seem to last longer lately.  You may be cool in the morning but it warms up nicely during the day.  It is also not a bad idea to have a rain jacket.

If you visit Peggy’s Cove, be sure to heed the warning signs to stay off the rocks showing the black watermark.  Every year there are stories of people getting too close to take photos and being swept into the ocean.

Another beautiful site to visit is the Halifax Public Gardens.  The gardens are Victorian and beautifully maintained.  There are benches around the pond and throughout the gardens so you can sit and enjoy your lunch or an ice cream.  There is also an outdoor theatre/stage where entertainment and music are performed.

There is a lovely boardwalk along the waterfront in The Historic Properties.  There are shops there and many places to grab a bite to eat or an ice cream.

Enjoy your cruise.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Of course I live in New England so I have a biased opinion!  I'll tell you what, Tauck tours has an excellent  land tour called Grand New England.   Also the Canadien Maritimes is a beautiful trip.   Both are lovely in the fall, recommend October for colors.  It is cool but usually sunny and beautiful with crisp fresh air.   Happy travels.