Esteemed Contributor

Cruises and Hawaii CABIN CHOICES -- NORWEGIAN

Still havent't made up our mind.  We are being dinged by insurance for our age.  Imagine that!  I am only 11 and never got out of the 6th grade.  LOL  In any case if we got the total with airfare and Norwegian cruise would be over 14 grand.  No kidding.  And we can  take off the extension part to Maui to cut down the price.  

And now the real question:  Cabin.... do we need the balcony..... Other choices,  inside no windows and outside window but with view of boats hanging (obstructed view).  

We have a week or so to make up our mind.  Love to go WITH OUR GROUP OF FRIENDS but thinking we will have A BIG BILL.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Cruises and Hawaii CABIN CHOICES -- NORWEGIAN

If you can afford it, definitely get a cabin with a balcony.  You can have coffee and breakfast delivered to your room and enjoy it on the balcony.  It's such a glorious way to start the day. Also, balcony cabins are usually a little larger.  For any cruise that is 7 nights or longer, I absolutely recommend a balcony. 

Esteemed Contributor

Have been on several cruises. First one (Caribbean) we had only a window. The next 2 (Alaska - Mediterranean) we had a balcony. Having the balcony was WONDERFUL. It made a huge difference in our enjoyment, especially during down time when we just wanted to go back to our cabin and chill for awhile. Also was great first thing in the morning, while one was using the bathroom and getting ready for the day the other could sit outside and enjoy the fresh air & view. I'd never cruise again without one.

Trusted Contributor

I never enjoyed a balcony so much as I did when we got a rear of the ship facing one instead of a side facing one.  If it's available, I can recommend it highly.

~Breathe In~ Breathe Out~ Move On~
Respected Contributor

I think you've mentioned previously that this trip is something that's on your bucket list, so if you can possibly afford it, I'd go for the balcony. 

If not, I try for the best window view cabin that you can get.

I would avoid the inside cabin unless you're absolutely sure you'll only be in there to sleep/shower/get ready. It's like living in a large walk-in closet. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Respected Contributor

Given the fact that you will be at sea for many days a balcony is a must. If you were cruising short distances it isn't as important. I'm going to Alaska in May and have a balcony room. I went to Cuba over the New Year and we had a long day onshore everyday so we had an inside cabin. Having a window or balcony makes the room feel bigger.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope you do get to go since it is on your bucket list and it’s always fun to go with friends. 

When we went on the same Hawaiian cruise several years ago we took an inside room which was at the lowest cruise price rate.  We did that because we did not intend to spend any time in our room other than sleeping.  We were always off the ship during the day and if we happened to be on the ship during part of a day we would be out and about sitting on a deck, getting in a hot tub, swimming, eating, enjoying the scenery, etc. I remember also making a lei with orchids late one afternoon on the ship. 

One thing about this cruise is that you are always docked during the day and cruise at night.  So (other than the very first day and very last day) you can get off the ship during the day. 

Valued Contributor

@bonnielu - If this is the only time you have ever cruised Hawaii, or is the only time you will do it, then GO BIG.  Do not cut out the Maui extension.  Do not get an inside cabin.  You are already spending a hugh amount of money - what's a little more?  Smiley Very Happy  Seriously, this is a once in a lifetime trip.  If you don't experience everything available to you, you might regret it forever.  Whatever you decide, enjoy!

Honored Contributor

Not sure how the windows are set up. But on our cruise (Disney) the windows were large and you could sit on the cushion at the bottom of the window. The window was about 5' round. So it gave you a nice view.

But I must admit we spent very little time in our room. And I only sat and looked out the window one time.

Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu:  I have cruised a lot and only balcony I ever got was from LA to HI at Xmas (14 days) what an indulgent waste!  That is a lot of money for room service on your deck.  Any modern cruise ship has many places to take in the view and you can get room service in any cabin for the price of a tip.  We usually alternate lounges of restaurants on a higher deck and see the view from all directions.  We always pick an inside cabin in the middle of ship (least expensive and least movement). We try to get as close to $125 pp per day (plus activities on board and on shore.  We do great ourselves to a couple of the specialty restaurants.  We book all our own activities on shore (we book a car on Oahu and Maui in advance and also book Feast at Lele on our own on Maui).  IMHO 14k in Hawaii for ship is ridiculous.  Shop around for insurance (I'm 74 and it can get ridiculous) and maybe just get Med Jet (to take care of you for major medical emergency once you have embarked on journey).