Honored Contributor

@crazered wrote:

Planning on going with kids and one grandchild. Sorry I didn’t mention that

Then doing Disney may be worth it.  Not all cruise lines have activites for children.  And everything Disney is expensive--LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I have several friends who go on Disney cruises and they have no children.  They are avid cruisers so they've been on several different cruiselines and they said no one does it like Disney.  They are fantastic cruises, even if you don't have kids.

The price of Disney cruises is just too much for me.  Disney Magic does only hold 2,400 passengers at full capacity so that's not big. 

Regular Contributor

My husband and I took a Disney cruise a couple of years ago on one of their "smaller" ships.  Our airline had a sale.  We missed being able to walk on a promenade, and to sit and watch the sea.  Everywhere was ACTIVE.  The restaurants are all very interesting, but we ended up at the buffet most evenings because the food there is simpler, and DH is a picky eater.  The kids weren't too bad, but the bad parents drove us both nuts!  We were in our late 60's.  We both came down with the flu a few days after returning home.  The ships are full of little germ factories called children.  It was all very nicely done, but we won't be back.

Respected Contributor

@crazered wrote:

Has anyone been on a Disney cruise? Looking at rates expensive. 

Thinking about one next year but looking at cost may do a regulR cruise lne. Any suggestions.

Yes.  Went on the Fantasy in 2016.  There are 3 Disney ships:  Wonder, Magic, Dream and Fantasy.  With three more coming out from 2021-2023, not named at this time.  The did vary in size and number of passengers.  Some ships are older than others.  A Disney cruise is not just for kids, there are adult only areas.  But it is Disney after all, so there are a lot of kids on the ship.  Disney is known for their service, and the service is very, very good.  The ships themselves are so clean.  They have rotational dining where you go to a different restaurant every night but your waiter follows you.  You get the schedule when you board.  They also have all the soda, water, tea, coffee (does not include alcholoh) you want whereas on other cruise lines you usually pay out of pocket as you go or buy a beverage plan prior.  There are also the quick serve area for food which is included, usually Disney themed.  I think on the Fantasy it was Flo's Diner.  Burgers, pizza, salads, chicken nuggets, fruit, fries....the list goes on and on.  Also a place to get soft serve ice cream as much as you want as many times as you want.  That differs from another ship that has a Venelopes Ice Cream parlor, which you pay.  Depending on itenary, you can go to Disney's Private Island, Castaway Cay.  There are two sections:  adults only and families.  There are cabanas available but unless you're conceirge, it's very unlikely you'll snag one.  There is also a place to eat which is included in the price.  I would definitely go on another Disney cruise.  My daughter was 10 when we went and has been asking to go back.  She isn't into the characters, meet and greets and such, and she had the best time.  Disney cruises are known for their kids clubs and activites.  Two other dining options are Remy and Palo (adults only).  We did Palo brunch and it was some of the best food we ever had.  Of course it's Disney and all things Disney come with a higher price tag.  But, they sell out all the time.  I met people who are on their 20 plus cruise.  Many sign up for another cruise while on their cruise due to the incentives.  I know many people watch and wait for the new intenaries to be made public because, it's my understanding, that's when the price is the lowest.  We are DVC Members and used our points for the cruise (won't do that again...not a good use of points) but I would consider using a travel agent.  I hear many good very good deals and then get perks on top of that.  Like $200 on board credit or something like that.  There are some very good places to look online and do research.  Disboards.com has several forums (mostly Disney, some Royal Carribean and Universal), but if you scroll down you'll see the Disney Cruise LIne Forum.  Another good one:  Cruise Critic.  There are also tons of videos on line on youtube. 

Respected Contributor

Forgot to mention Cabanas.  The buffet place.  YUM! 

Frequent Contributor

We have been on 19 Disney cruises and 6 cruises on several other lines.  We just got back from our best cruise ever - 14 day Panama Canal cruise on DCL.  It was the second time we did it.  Very few kids and so much to do.  We are mid -late 50s.  Even my kids in their early-mid 20s want to do only DCL.  Once you add up all of the extra costs on other cruise lines, the costs are about the same for the same type of product.  DCL is definitely a premium product.  If you need to tender, you go on real tender boats, not the cruise line life boats.  At the tender location at. port, you have cold towels and cold water to greet you while you wait for the tender, all under a canopy.  If you go when school is in session (not summer or holidays) there aren't that many kids and they are pretty much contained in the kids clubs and kids pool.  Cost is much cheaper then also.

I find it interesting when people complain about the dining rooms and then talk about having dinner at the buffet.  DCL doesn't have a buffet for dinner, it becomes a sit down dinner with waiters in training manning the tables.  Your dining room serving team will do whatever you want at the main dining rooms.  Want to speed up dinner, got it.  Want to linger, got it.  Don't like what's on the menu?  What do you want?  THey will get it for you, within reason.

My favorite part is sitting on deck 4 on a padded lounger watching the sea go by while alternating reading a book and watching the inside of my eyelids!  Disney cruisers seem to be people who like to have fun that doesn't include getting drunk.  We hung out in the sports bar and adult lounge every night and had so much fun.  Something different to do in the adult area every one of the 14 nights.

If you hate Disney it isn't the cruise for you.  

Esteemed Contributor

@ShopperL :  Your description of DCL is absolutely no different than my experiences on Princess, Celebrity or Royal Carribean (including food, boats, total experience and cold towels etc).  If you go on Carnival, or NFL maybe your experience won't be as nice.