Honored Contributor

Cruise to Central & South America

I just returned from a cruise to Central and a bit of South America -- Mexico, Guatamala, Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, etc.  The thing that sticks with me the most is the poverty.  I was heartbroken and don't think I'll ever be the same.

I spent some time with the extreme poor, including kids, who were digging through trash for food, begging at churches, etc. It was pretty easy to tell who was faking for money and who was really without food and basics. I saw how they live...the hovels with random things they found to try to make roofs, in the middle of volcano damage, mud, gunk.  Many of their homes did not have 4 walls...one side was often only protected by a piece of cloth. It broke my heart.   I talked (tried to, anyway) with a few and gave money to a few. The little bits of money allowed them to eat well for a week or month.  I'll never feel the same or be the same as I was before.

Honored Contributor

Re: Cruise to Central & South America

I am sad to hear that ...don’t know what can be done but we ..can’t save the world.The leaders of these countries need to step up to help their people.People out on the streets everywhere here too.Four hundred homeless camps in Seattle alone.There seems to be no end to the people who need help.....very sad situation that is continuing to grow.

Honored Contributor

Yes, traveling is an eye opener.  There are many places in the world where poverty is overwhelming.  Do what you can, be grateful for what you have and pray that the people in charge will respond to their people's needs.

Esteemed Contributor

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page."  (St. Augustine)