Contributor
My significant other and I are looking into taking a cruise to Alaska. We want to take the inner passage. Also want to do a land tour. Any recommendations would be very welcome. Interested in about a 10 day trip.
Respected Contributor

@3threecats wrote:
My significant other and I are looking into taking a cruise to Alaska. We want to take the inner passage. Also want to do a land tour. Any recommendations would be very welcome. Interested in about a 10 day trip.

Took a land and sea tour of Alaska with Holland America lines in 1994.  Can't believe it was so long ago.  Started in Anchorage and ended in Vancouver.  Saw highlights of Alaska including Denali, Fairbanks, Skagway, etc. via train and bus. Sailed out of Juneau through the Inside Passage to Vancouver  I would highly recommend their tour.  It was an unforgettable trip for me.  Hope you find a trip that will thrill you.

“Do not think only of your own joy, but vow to save all beings from suffering.”
Dalai Lama
Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I did the HOLLAND AMERICAN WESTOURS  and even went to Chicken and then down the Yukon. A wonderful trip!  
    BUT.... I don't think I'd go for awhile with viruses around! 

Honored Contributor

@3threecats 

I believe @World Traveler lives in Alaska.  Maybe she can help you w/the land tours.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@3threecats  I highly recommend any chance you get to visit this area. I've done the coastal cruise which was amazing and another adventure to the Yukon Territory where we stayed three weeks in the Kluane Wilderness at a lodge accessible only by float plane. Enjoyed remarkable trophy fishing. Was able to go another year and visit Denali Wildlife Sanctuary.  It would be hard to choose a favorite.

Honored Contributor

@jbinrwc wrote:

@3threecats wrote:

Took a land and sea tour of Alaska with Holland America lines in 1994.  Can't believe it was so long ago.  Started in Anchorage and ended in Vancouver.  Saw highlights of Alaska including Denali, Fairbanks, Skagway, etc. via train and bus. Sailed out of Juneau through the Inside Passage to Vancouver  I would highly recommend their tour.  It was an unforgettable trip for me.  Hope you find a trip that will thrill you.

We started in Vancouver and went up to  Anchorage by the inside passage and then back to Vancouver. I think it was 8 nights. 

There were numerous side trips your cruise line will offer. You could just sightseeing or do more active trips. We went to Mendenhall glacier, Denali National Park, went out whale watching, took a cable car up a mountain in Anchorage and panned for gold. 

The weather was perfect the entire trip. We will probably go again. There is just so much to see and do.

Esteemed Contributor

Alaska is a huge state and there is so much to see.  If it's your first time I recommend the inside passage by cruise ship.  Though I am not a big cruiser anymore that is the best way to experience that area.  There are lots of excursions you can do, when we went in 1995 (our kids were teens) we did white water rafting, sea planes, visited glaciers and a bald eagle preserve.  It is a phenomenal trip for sure, there really is nothing like it and we have traveled quite a bit over the years.  A few years ago we went back to visit Denali National Park and we are planning on visiting again in a different area of the state.  

Frequent Contributor

Re: Cruise to Alaska

[ Edited ]

My husband and I also took the Holland America cruise to Alaska.  I believe it was around 2007.  It was an amazing and wonderful cruise, very similar to the Holland America cruise described earlier.  Entertainment was great and so was the food.

I would highly recommend, although my cruise was so long ago and times are so different now.  My cruise was a 7 day cruise.

Respected Contributor

The Celebrity Edge class and Royal Carribean Oasis Class has been getting a lot of buzz lately.  Especialy Celebrity.  We have a cruise schedule in December but I've already been looking into Celebrity for after that.  Go to YouTube and search "cruise to Alaska" or the cruise line you're interested in.  There's lot of videos these days.

Respected Contributor

Skagway is a must see ....