Honored Contributor

Cruise Tips: 17 Little Travel Hacks to Make Your Trip Easier

[ Edited ]

It seems there are a lot of posters on our forum who like to cruise, so I am going to post these tips by Victoria Holt, and the Internet article (posted last year) doesn’t say who she is with. However, she quotes her sources as cruisediva.com, cruisecritic.com, and budgettravel.com. Hope you find this helpful!

Make the most of your next cruise vacation with these cheap and easy tips:

• Bring duct tape (it helps with everything!) – Duct tape can have a variety of helpful uses once you’re onboard. Use it to fix your broken suitcase, take lint off of a formal dress, or keep drawers from rolling open when the ship hits rough waters.
  • Book a lower deck room to avoid nausea – Prevent seasickness by booking an inside room on the lower deck, preferably in the ship’s center (this is where it is most balanced). If you already feel nausea coming on, order a green apple and crackers from room service, as the fruit is said to be an extraordinary cure for seasickness. Other remedies for nausea include adding a bit of ginger to your meal or sitting on the deck and fixing your gaze on a point of the horizon.
  • Shop around for travel insurance – Travel insurance is important, as it will provide coverage in the wake of unexpected inconveniences, such as travel delays or lost luggage. However, the cruise line may offer coverage at a steeper rate than necessary. Get quotes from third-party companies like RoamRight and Global Alert to help save money.
  • Get the ship’s app – Many cruise lines offer free apps that will help you make the most of your vacation with information about dining options, onboard account balances, port schedules, and a ship map. The apps will also have a messaging function, which will allow you to call and text others on the ship for a small fee.
  • Use Scotchgard on your luggage – Invest in a can of Scotchgard before your trip and use the stain and water repellent on your suitcase before packing. This will keep both your suitcase and the belongings inside protected should inclement weather occur while luggage is being loaded or unloaded from the ship.
  • Bring stick-on labels to send postcards – When taking a cruise, you will likely be visiting many different places and may want to send postcards or small mementos to friends and family back home. Instead of dragging your bulky address book around with you for the duration of your trip, preaddress a few stick-on labels with your friends’ addresses to streamline the process and save space.
  • Pack magnets for a more organized room – Ship cabins can be small and clutter easily, and often don’t offer a lot of hanging options for towels and jackets. However, most cabin walls are metal, which means they’re also magnetic. Before you embark, head to your local hardware store and invest in a few magnet clips and hooks. This will allow you to hang extra wet bathing suits, and help you stay organized as you clip daily itineraries and other important documents to the wall. Remember, these are things you’re better off not packing on your vacation.
  • Watch the bridge cam to prevent claustrophobia – If you’ve opted for an inside cabin without any windows, you may sometimes feel claustrophobic due to the lack of natural light. Should this occur, tune your cabin’s TV to the ship’s bridge cam, which will provide some nice natural light and serve as a low-maintenance nightlight when the sun goes down.
  • Pack a power strip – Most cabins are lacking in electronic outlets, which can be frustrating to the modern traveler needing to charge a whole slew of devices. To avoid this predicament, tuck a power strip in your suitcase to accommodate your various chargers.
  • Pack an extension cord – Additionally, outlets are often inconveniently located, which makes a small extension cord useful if you want to lounge in bed with your laptop.
  • Bring your own first-aid kit – A lot of staple items that come in a standard first-aid kit will be much more expensive in a sundries shops onboard. Avoid the added expense by tossing a small first-aid kit in your suitcase when packing.
  • An over-the-door shoe rack can save your sanity – This handy organizer will help keep your items orderly in a cramped ship cabin. Tuck your shoes, toiletries, and other belongings in the pockets to keep your cabin tidy over the course of your cruise.
  • Bring wrinkle-release spray – Unlike hotels, cruise ships will not provide irons in cabins because of the fire hazard they pose. Instead, place clothes on hangers and cover them with plastic dry cleaner bags before packing to prevent wrinkles from forming. For a more low-maintenance solution, bring along a wrinkle-releasing spray and gently spritz garments before wearing.
  • Do laundry in your room with these surprising items – On most ships, fees for laundry services and self-service washing are exorbitant. Save money by bringing along travel-sized detergents and a few deflated balloons. Was clothing with detergent in the sink of your cabin’s bathroom, wring out, and then drape each article over a blown-up balloon to give it its own little drying rack. Another way to be resourceful with dirty clothes is to try and find a Laundromat when the ship ports, though language barriers and foreign currency may make this a challenge.
  • Get a full tour of your cabin – Though your cabin may be a bit on the small side, ship designers are often extremely inventive when it comes to creating space and storage throughout the space. When you first arrive at your cabin, explore thoroughly so that you uncover any discreet or surprising storage spaces that will make space management simpler. Or just ask your cabin steward to show you around the room.
  • For maximum R&R, get room service – On most cruise lines, room service is free or comes with a very low service charge. Make the most of your vacation by treating yourself to a peaceful night in with room service, away from the frenzy of large dining rooms and restaurants.
  • Take advantage of spa freebies – Many ships will not require you to buy a spa pass to gain access to facilities, like the steam room or spa showers, which will probably be roomier than the one in your cramped cabin bathroom. Another smart spa shortcut is to investigate spa service rates on port days, when they are often offered at a discounted price.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Cruise Tips: 17 little Travel Hacks to Make Your Trip Easier

Thanks, I love cruising, for ME it is the best bang for my limited funds.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Love cruising (it's so easy).  One tip I'll add: DH and I have business cards made just for travelling.  We include address, phone #s, email and use a background that viewers can associate with us (we love in the mountains, so our background picture reflects this).  We use these as luggage tags, for exchanging info with passengers, vendors, people we meet when out and about, etc.

Valued Contributor

DH & I cruise fairly often and the best tips I ever got were to bring a highlighter, extension cord, and some clothespins.

The highlighter helps us to find the activities we want to attend each day after looking at the offerings in the daily newsletter.

Clothespins come in handy as most ships have a retractable line in the shower, but never any pins.

Contributor

Cool tips. We are cruising in 12 days for our first cruise in 25 years. We need all the tips we can get! These are good ones! 

Valued Contributor

Re: Cruise Tips: 17 Little Travel Hacks to Make Your Trip Easier

@World Traveler 

This is a great travel list!  Thanks for posting!  

DUCT Tape goes everywhere and should be considered a basic take along item.  <G>       

DH and his Mom really appreciated the white plastic hangers and clothespins I tossed into the suitcase during their  2week River Cruise last July.   

I will add when you add these extra items to your room  remember to pack them up when you leave!  I put a small night light into an outlet in a hotel room bathroom and left it behind by mistake. easy to do but a relatively cheap oops.    

I just bought a small black FAN by HoneyWell with multiple speeds to use in  rooms when on a car trip or cruise.   This fan is round, about 8inches across on an adjustable base.  I like a fan for air movement and white noise.   The last Westin we were at were all out when I requested one so it must be a popular option.??  This one is small but does the job.   

Keep Calm and Travel On, 

CAT