Trusted Contributor

My daughter and I will be taking a 7 day cruise on the Princess from Rome to Athens. If you have been on this cruise can you recommend which excursions were your favorite.

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl   I haven't been on that cruise but we did cruise the Mediterranean many years ago but went to different locations.  However we did go to Rome.  Highlights were touring the  Colosseum, and visiting the Vatican. 

On one of our trips to Rome my son was studying there for a semester and he showed us how to get around...we did a lot of walking but I'm sure you can either find a cab or maybe an Uber.

I would suggest that you try Cruise Critic dot com where you can find out more about your cruise and TripAdvisor where you can find out from one of their many extensive forums all about Rome...the ins & outs of places to visit and how to get around.

Trusted Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

@Calcgirl   I haven't been on that cruise but we did cruise the Mediterranean many years ago but went to different locations.  However we did go to Rome.  Highlights were touring the  Colosseum, and visiting the Vatican. 

On one of our trips to Rome my son was studying there for a semester and he showed us how to get around...we did a lot of walking but I'm sure you can either find a cab or maybe an Uber.

I would suggest that you try Cruise Critic dot com where you can find out more about your cruise and TripAdvisor where you can find out from one of their many extensive forums all about Rome...the ins & outs of places to visit and how to get around.

Thank you!

Esteemed Contributor
Another suggestion for TripAdvisor and Cruise Critic.

I don’t know your itinerary, but many places may require steps. On a previous cruise, I did a ship’s excursion in Athens that stopped at the Acropolis and Plaka. There are quite a few steps going up to the Parthenon, but they weren’t steep and I had no problem with them as a plus person (but I obviously don’t know your daughter.)

If you stop in Naples, the obvious excursions are Capri or Amalfi Coast (would recommend Amalfi Coast if this is your first trip there.) My ship’s excursion also stopped at Pompeii, which, if I remember that far back, required a walk up a hill to get to the site. A hot day may also make it more difficult.

Have a great trip!
Respected Contributor

We took a 2 week Mediterranean cruise in 2012 and went on excursions in every stop. The ones we enjoyed the most were Mikonos and Dubrovnik. If these are stops on your cruise, I highly recommend them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Calcgirl :  I have done basically your itinerary.  My advice is to your research (tour flyers from your ship is where I would start.  As a rule, we don't take cruise excursions; we find 2-4 additional interested parties (often dinner partners).  We take the flyers, pick and choose what we want to do (We always go lower than advertised price, and also negotiate with taxi driver to get back to ship 1/2 hr before time stated on flyer).  We always get a custom experience, including buying flowers and getting local coffee at local grocery store.  Additionally, in Rome and Athens, use hop on/off buses (faster and cheaper than ship's tours).