Esteemed Contributor

Re: Coronavirus Cruise Cancellations

I'm reading that May/June Alaska cruises are in jeopardy.  Haven't seen anything concrete yet - cruise lines dealing with more immediate worries - but Canada has currently banned all cruise ships that contain over 500 passengers until July 1st.  Seattle's port is supposedly closed until around then too.  Since many cruises start in either Seattle or Victoria, Canada and the cruises need to stop in a foreign port, this makes the early Alaska cruises likely to be cancelled.

Was anyone planning an Alaska cruise and have you heard anything yet?

Respected Contributor

I am an avid cruiser and was booked on RC for early April. I was also scheduled to take a China tour (booked 10 months in advance) and as I watched the disease progress in China I had to postpone that trip and knew there could be worldwide problems.

I did see that the cruises were allowing three day advance cancellations for full credit.  I rolled the dice and held out canceling until the news became more grim and the cruise lines were asked to cancel all cruises for 30 days. Now I will automatically get a full refund or 125% credit.

Right now airlines are offering full credit--no fees-- for those who cancel if scheduled to fly before the end of April.

Is it possible that they will do refunds?  Only if THEY decide to cancel a flight or drastically change the times.  Again, I am in a bit of a waiting game of decisions.

I have booked my trips up to one year in advance, but right now my recommendation is to be patient, see how the virus situation plays out, and look for last-minute deals when all is well again. I follow many of the travel forums on T.A. and it is always great to get first-hand feedback from those in the places I wish to visit.

Super Contributor

ROYAL CARIBBEAN ANNOUNCES GLOBAL VOLUNTARY SUSPENSION OF CRUISING

At Royal Caribbean International, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew are always our top priorities. After the decision was made on March 13th to voluntarily suspend our sailings departing from US ports, we've now made the decision to also suspend operations for the remainder of our sailings worldwide, effective at midnight, March 15th. If you are currently onboard a cruise, there’s no need to worry. We will complete our current sailing and debark as planned. Our goal is to resume operations on April 11th, 2020.

As a result of this change, we’re providing you with a 125% Future Cruise Credit to come back and sail with us by December 31, 2021

• This amount will be based on your total cruise fare paid. And, we’re giving you a little extra, knowing that this is such a unique circumstance.

• We will automatically issue you your Future Cruise Credit by Monday, April 13th, 2020 via email. So, there’s nothing for you to do!

• Please know, if you pre-purchased any amenities and packages – like internet, beverage, dining, or RoyalUp Upgrade, those will be automatically refunded.

Or, if you prefer the lower value in a full refund, we’re happy to process this for you. Given how fluid this situation is, and the opportunity to use the extra credit being offered, you have plenty of time to make up your mind. You have until December 31, 2021 to request a refund.

• Please contact us to start the refund process, if you’re willing to give up the higher value of your 125% Future Cruise Credit.

• We’ll then deactivate your Future Cruise Credit and process your refund to your original form(s) of payment, which will include any non-refundable deposits.

• To avoid waiting on the phone to cancel, please click here and we will get the process started for you.

• You can expect to receive your refund 30 days after you submit your request.

And, if you purchased air or hotel…

• via Royal Caribbean, these will also be automatically refunded to you.

• on your own, please contact the service provider directly for your options with them.

We know, this too shall pass, and we are optimistic that very soon you’ll be excited about planning your next cruise vacation. As always, the most important thing to us will always be the safety of our guests and crew. In the meantime, we’ll continue to monitor the global situation. We wish you good health and truly appreciate your continued loyalty.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm a couple weeks outside of that window of suspensions for my RCL cruise.  However, I'm not canceling myself.  I fully believe the suspension is going to be extended.  I want RCL to cancel us because if they cancel, I can get a full refund or a 125% future cruise credit.

If I cancel, I only get a future cruise credit for the price I paid for the cruise.  Port fees and taxes will be refunded and any excursions or packages you booked through RCL will also be refunded.  

I do have insurance but I'd rather not mess around making a claim through that.  I'd rather have the option through RCL if they cancel. I have outside insurance so I'll be out that money.   

Trusted Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm a couple weeks outside of that window of suspensions for my RCL cruise.  However, I'm not canceling myself.  I fully believe the suspension is going to be extended.  I want RCL to cancel us because if they cancel, I can get a full refund or a 125% future cruise credit.

If I cancel, I only get a future cruise credit for the price I paid for the cruise.  Port fees and taxes will be refunded and any excursions or packages you booked through RCL will also be refunded.  

I do have insurance but I'd rather not mess around making a claim through that.  I'd rather have the option through RCL if they cancel. I have outside insurance so I'll be out that money.   

YOU are right.

I think I jumped the gun in canceling so early.

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Esteemed Contributor

08B5D632-FCAF-4FDA-AED5-6B7E388A7797.jpeg

Honored Contributor

My girlfriend just ended her cruise yesterday. She said they had a wonderful time. And Disney bent over backwards. The cruise ended a day early because they could not get off the boat at different ports. 

They were given a discount of 10% and refunds plus 50% off future cruises.

Regular Contributor

What a difference 3 weeks makes! My situation and post about my cruise and cruises in general certainly has changed! In the end i did not have to cancel   the cruisel line cancelled and I got a full refund even though I took out no insurance. Stay safe y'all!